Sign in to follow this  

nickelplated??

i was rebuilden my 02 cr 250 and my friend said tht it was nickleplated and if i hoonde' it then i would have to re nickle plate it and it would be like 500bucks!

so is it true there nickleplated? and if i did hone it would i have to re plate it?

i rehoned my cr125 cylinder ((i dont know if its that same)) but i didnt have to replate it.

and if you do i dont think its that expensive. my uncle had his done when he blew his motor and it was 280 ((i think))

If your cylinder has the original plating, the bore is coated with Nikasil. Fortunately, OEM Honda Nikasil is very durable. Wiseco piston installation instructions state that if the bore looks good, it is not necessary to hone. But you have to know what an "OK" bore looks like. Basically, there should be few (if any) vertical lines and if there are any, you shouldn't be able to feel them with your fingernail. The color of the plating should be consistent and there should be no areas that look worn through to the aluminum. The angled "crosshatch" pattern is from the original factory hone and should be clearly visible. On the '02 - up cylinders, you'll notice a "puddled" look to the plating on and near the exhaust bridge as you can see in this brand new '03 cylinder.

If you want/need to hone, it is fine as long as you use the proper tools. An excellent hone is the diamond impregnated nylon brush hone sold by Wiseco. Some automotive machine shops are equipped to hone a Nikasil bore with the proper diamond hone. Whether you hone or not, make sure you clean the cylinder very well before you reinstall it. I usually send wash mine with soapy water and then send it through the dish washer.

The nikasil plating dates back to at least the '94 model year...probably even to '92. I bought my '94 CR250 @ four years old, and although it wasn't (terribly) abused, it was well beyond being "overdue" for a new top end. It was sick as hell...would hardly get into the pipe, for all the sputtering and popping from lack of compression. Bought the Wiseco kit, tore the poor bastard down and was AMAZED at the pristine condition of the cylinder walls! Did the rebuild and all that goes along with it, including the Boyesen reeds...was like I'd dropped a new engine in it! The thing would absolutely rail. The difference in the pre vs. post rebuild compression was like night and day, also.

So don't automatically assume that it's in need of a cylinder hone...that's the whole beauty of the nikasil plating. It damn near takes a full blown seize to ruin it.

Honda....gotta love'em.....

The CR250 has been nicosil since 1986. The "puddled" look on the exhaust bride is just where it has been relieved. The best thing to clean your cylinder with after honing is a very high detergent oil or solvent ie. Marvel Mystery oil, WD40. Soap and water just wont cut the hone debris. Tdub

The CR250 has been nicosil since 1986.

Thanks, TDub...you just saved me countless hours...I knew it had been done for a long time, but had no idea as to exactly when it went into production. An open-ended question like that will drive me crazy until I can find the answer.

(But I do know what year the RM hit the sales floor with the first water cooled model-but only because I bought one of the 125's...out the door - $1300.00. With a brand new Bell Moto---oops, almost made that one too easy.)

:thumbsup:

Thanks, TDub...you just saved me countless hours...I knew it had been done for a long time, but had no idea as to exactly when it went into production. An open-ended question like that will drive me crazy until I can find the answer.

(But I do know what year the RM hit the sales floor with the first water cooled model-but only because I bought one of the 125's...out the door - $1300.00. With a brand new Bell Moto---oops, almost made that one too easy.)

:thumbsup:

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was!

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was!

The older I get, the faster who was?.....wait.....is that Ted Nugent I hear????

dammit, had my hearing aid turned up too loud again......

The best thing to clean your cylinder with after honing is a very high detergent oil or solvent ie. Marvel Mystery oil, WD40.

I haven't tried to clean the bore with light oil, but after a trip through the dish washer with hot water and detergent, I can't detect any honing residue when I wipe the bore down with a white paper towel and Marvel Mystery oil. Seems to clean up really well.