More Baumgartner Questions

I went up near the Baumgartner campground last week. I parked at Willow Creek. I rode about 3 miles op Willow creek and turned around. Then I rode Virginia gulch and back. A lot of the trails seem to be narrow hillside stuff. I can ride that, but, when I'm by myself I like to stay away from it. Does anybody have any good loops without so much hillside they can recommend?? Also, I started up the Iron Mountain lookout trail. After a few miles I met up with some ole boys on four wheelers. I stopped and asked them how far the trail went and its condition. One of them had a few smart ass answers, and finished his beer. They had rifles on the 4 wheelers and a few had pistols on their hips. I decided to haul back the other way and did Virginia Gulch again on the way out. Anyway, what is the Iron mountain trail like. It seemed to be the best trail I found but didn't get to finish it. If anybody has any recommendations I like to go back up there and ride. Thanks.

do you really have no one to ride with cuz to tell you the truth, theres a lot of good ridin out in that area but most of it takes a little bit of side hillin to get to. ive ridden out there a few times but unfortunately i cant tell you any good routes because im only 16 and for the most part i just go where my friend's and my dad tell us to go. if i had any suggestions i would tell you to find a buddy to ride with and if you cant find one than i dont know what to tell you. sorry for not helpin much but good luck with finding answers

Yeah, I just moved out here to the AF BAse. I haven't found anybody to ride with who wants to go do 50 or 60 miles. Most of the guys here just want to go ride fast around their trucks at the pit on their 2 strokes. Plus its hard to find anybody who has their bike and gear straight and ready to ride. I hate to ride alone, although I'm a good intermediate rider I don't take chances on diffucult trails when I'm riding alone.

I would have to say most of the stuff on the North side is pretty tight that I have rode , but there is some mellow stuff but not much. I you would like some not so exposed hillside trails maybe check out Blacks Creek. It just seems that most of that riding up in he Trinity area to Atlanta to Baum is just rocky tight tuff riding.

i think virginia gulch is what velo and I rode...i can't seem to remember the names of the other trails we rode that weekend. virginia gulch was a fun trail with a few challenging areas (for me anyway). i'd recommend danskin trail system as others have said if you don't like to ride the tighter stuff alone.

bg doesn't have alot of non-sidehill stuff. willow creek and virginia gulch are actually among the mellower trails there (if you don't mind the rocks on willow).

however, the south side trails, kelly creek, blue ridge, bremmer, presidents are all pretty reasonable and safe. otoh, north fork of lime creek has some major exposure in spots. i remember middle fork of lime creek being pretty ok.

imho, if riding virginia gulch and willow makes you nervous when you ride alone, then BG is probably not the best place to ride alone.

Kelly Creek would be a breeze for you, it's like a dang highway through there. Depending on your bike/fuel situation, you could ride up Kelly to the bottom of Iron Mountain, down Bremner, then come back the opposite way. Both of those trails are very simple and safe for riding alone. Well, at least Kelly Ck is, I haven't rode Bremner in forever. I would recommend finding someone to ride with, there are a lot of really nice trails and country to see in that area, and it seems like we have a lot of members from around there also.