Sign in to follow this  

shift lever problems

hi i bought a 97 kx250 three days ago, runs great

but, the shift lever was shot when i got it, and the gears were stripped so it finally gave out and i took it off

my local bike shop can get me one i a few days but i was wondering if i could just ride it in first all the time because im still learning and have been mainly in 1st+2nd anyway

will this hurt anything? i know it would be hard on the clutch when startin it but i wanna ride! :thumbsup:

it wont hurt anything if you stay within a reasonable RPM range, which will be low speed and boring.

the shift lever should not be able to fall completley off unless you remove the bolt.you may be able to open up the slot on the lever slightly with a dremel tool or hacksaw .this will allow you to close it further down and get a few more days use until the new one arrives.make sure the splines on the output shaft coming from the motor are not stripped also or you will be buying a lot more new shift levers.

yeah the bolt snapped when i tried to put it back on like u said, thats why im stitting duck and asked if ridin in first would hurt anything

the splines on the bike are fine but the lever is screwed up bad

so your saying that part of the bolt is snapped off in the lever?That can be removed.The lever should be aluminum(stock) and sometimes you can snug it up tight enough to make it work.When you put the new one on use a little loctite and don't tighten the crud out of that little bolt.

i had to drill the bolt out, very carefully, it didnt really fall off i drilled the bolt out from the side after it snapped, it was hangin by a hair

its trash anyways a new one is only 30$

the thing is almost 10 years old, shit happens thats life

but will it hurt anything if i ride in in 1st?