Sign in to follow this  

Any thoughts on a 2002 LC4???

I have the opportunity to buy a 2002 KTM LC4 with 3200 miles on the clock.

It is stock except for a racing pipe and rejet.

It is in perfect condition and I have talked him down to $5000. I know this is a little high but in the SF Bay area EVERYTHING seems to cost just a little bit more. The prievious owner knows his bikes and owns 2 others that looked they were well cared for.

I know the 2002 does not have the 2003 "improvements" but I have not been able to find one in very good shape.

It will be mostly used for off road dirt trails, fire roads, etc.

I am 53 and just want a good Adventure bike for exploring off roads.

What ya think???

RC

I have an 02 I bought with about the same mi and mods - have romped on it almost 10k of dirt and it's a great machine. change oil frequently, tear it down annually and it'll make you very happy. I think that's a fairly good price too, especially if it's been maintained.

What model LC4? If it is an Adventure the price sounds OK, if it is just a regular LC4 the price is high. Check over at www.advrider.com in the flea market section. You can either search for ones for sale or post a "want to buy" ad.

Techie.

I picked up a very clean 02' LC4E last winter for $3500 - It had 4500 miles on it. I picked it up with the intentions of turning it into a Supermoto - transformation was completed this past June. It's an absolute blast to ride. I get compliments everywhere I go simply because of the red/black color scheme - everyone is so use to seeing orange/black. I can't really comment on it's offroad capabilities though - I have a YZ426 for that. It's obviously much heavier than my YZ - probably 45-50lbs. if I were to guess. However, in an offroad situation, the power output would prove to be much friendlier and forgiving. I wouldn't hesitate riding it through some wide trails, fireroads or desert stuff. I would avoid tight billy goat mountain climbing trails though.

I just picked up a really nice, 2000 LC4 with 11,000 miles for $3,250. In my area it was a little above Kelly Blue Book and a little below NADA retail prices. I would suggest checking there before negotiating a deal. On the other hand they don't come around very often so if you want one and can afford it, dig deep.

sparrowhawk, i'm REALLY ticked off at you. i know exactly the bike you bought, and it had my name all over it!!! (just kidding, but if eric had waited another 2 weeks it would be in my garage and not yours!) i've even ridden it several times. when you get tired of it, let me or eric ( the guy you bought it from) know...

What model LC4? If it is an Adventure the price sounds OK, if it is just a regular LC4 the price is high. Check over at www.advrider.com in the flea market section. You can either search for ones for sale or post a "want to buy" ad.

Techie.

yes, you're right about the price - I mistakenly thought it was an adventure he was talking about. that is high for a stock LC4 640.

There was a nice '01 on eBay that was sold for $4600.00 according to the site I looked at. I just bought an '02 LC4 two weeks ago....fun machine, a little buzzy compared to the XR650L, but has a lot more zip. Had 5800 miles on it when I bought it.

Greetings - my first post here.

I bought a 2002 640 Adv. a few months ago with 1600 miles on it. $5400 seemed like a lot but what a great bike - I'm not sorry one bit. A friend of mine (who has the exact same bike) and I are planning a trip for next June that will be about four weeks in length. We're going to do the continental divide ride from Mexico to Canada. The 640 is a very capable bike - you'll enjoy it.

--RxRick

I picked-up a 2001 LC4 400 for 2550.00 and I love it. 2055 on it and cant wait to put a bunch more on it.