Sign in to follow this  

85wt MTL tranny oil in a 03 CR125

Can I use maxium 85wt MTL tranny oil in a 03 CR125? I only ride tracks. I have been running the 80wt MTL but I made a mistake and didn't read the bottle and when I got home I noticed it. What is the difference?

First and best advice...when in doubt, check the official Honda Owners Manual & Competion Handbook. The "books" for both my '94 CR250 and my '06 CRF450R say 10W-40/Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil or an equivalent.

However, regarding the two-strokes...I have several long-time friends (yes, I know, hard to believe) who race pro-class...GNCC, MX....they all have always used ATF DexronIII/Mercon in their two stroke tranny's, and I've done the same for the last eight years. Never a problem of any kind, and great clutch action and life.

But, I gotta know...where did the idea for the gear weight oil come from? Have never seen that before. How're your clutch plates? Does it feel like you're dragging a boat anchor when you ride?

But hey, I know first hand that expanding foam shot into the handlebars will greatly reduce vibration transfer...so, who am I to say? Some weird sounding shit really does work.... :thumbsup:

Dude, BTW...

My curiosity was killin' me...you've got seven bikes??? AND over 1,100 posts in four months????

How in the hell do you make time for all that riding??????????

:thumbsup:

(and is your daddy rich and willing to adopt a married father of three????!!!!)

Dude, BTW...

My curiosity was killin' me...you've got seven bikes??? AND over 1,100 posts in four months????

How in the hell do you make time for all that riding??????????

(and is your daddy rich and willing to adopt a married father of three????!!!!)

i ride in the morring and go on here at night and i paided for my bikes not my dad

Can I use maxium 85wt MTL tranny oil in a 03 CR125? I only ride tracks. I have been running the 80wt MTL but I made a mistake and didn't read the bottle and when I got home I noticed it. What is the difference?

:thumbsup: 85wt-80wt= 5wt :ride:

like the diff between 20w motor oil and 10w motor oil. Difference in viscosity, that's all.

We usually ran 75wt gear oil in our road racers. 80wt will work just fine.

i went back to the dealer (2 min from my house) and returned it for the 80 not taking a chance :thumbsup:

i ride in the morring and go on here at night and i paided for my bikes not my dad

Sweeeeet...can I come over to play at your house?!

Honestly, I've never heard of anyone running that kind of weight in the tranny...I can feel my brain growing....

Hey sonobob, why are you doing 100+mph in 2nd gear?LOL :applause:

If you build it, they will come.... :thumbsup:

HA! Hell, I don't know...because I could???

Actually, I no longer do that...the old battleaxe VFR was taken away by it's new owner a couple of weeks ago. Hated to part with it, but the combination of all the maniac road warriors wrapped in metal boxes, moving at WarpSpeed around Atlanta and the county badges that fly sorties in squadrons of four have just made the asphalt too much of a risk for me.

It's amazing how clear one's perspective can become during a 10 hour stint in the county lockdown! :ride: