Sign in to follow this  

Somebody help me out with some fab. work

hey i have this "track rack" thing. its actually pretty cool, and its really sturdy. the thing is is that it only fits a bike the size of a 80. well, i dont have a truck ((parents bought me a jeep)), so that is my only way of being able to go riding. And i cant justify spending 250ish for a joe hauler or whatever those things are. ((unless i have to, if i cant get this to work)). So what im asking is, do you guys think it would be possible to add a extention on both sides of this thing to fit a full size bike ((my 02 cr250)). i was thinking of just welding a foot or so of track on both sides of it to make my bike fit, what do you guys think?

Heres a picture of it on my jeep, but with the 80 on it. As you can see it fits a 80 perfect, but my 250 would be too big. :thumbsup: ((just ignore my friend in the picture))

100_0912.jpg

What's the carrying capacity of that mesh hauler in lbs? It's probably close to its limits with the 80 on there even before your gooner bud climbed on.

Those little mesh trays are usually built to hold under 200 lbs.

The bike would barely touch, if at all the mesh. The tires would sit on the welded ramps i would at on both ends. Of course i would streghten them, any ideas how, or what to use?

The point I was making is that the structure of the hitch carrier and support system would most likely have to be enhanced and additional supports fabricated and welded in to hold a larger bike safely.

You could try a piece of U-channel but there doesn't look like there's much framework to bolt it to.

Buy a steel loading ramp and ziptie it on there. Or weld it, whatever you prefer.

No but seriously get a 8' piece of u channel like chickenhauler said and bolt that sucka on there

Don't forget to mark your edges when it is extended. You will have excess protruding on both sides. The Jeep is very narrow compared to most others.

You should hook up some trailer lights to the back of your hauler, maybe relocate your license plate also.

If you have welding experience I made a hitch hauler, seen here http://bikepics.com/pictures/626832/ and it was much cheaper than buyin a commercially built one.

Nice job - I've built and modified quite a few of these and yours is one of the better home built carriers I've seen.

-Tyler

What's the carrying capacity of that mesh hauler in lbs? It's probably close to its limits with the 80 on there even before your gooner bud climbed on.

Those little mesh trays are usually built to hold under 200 lbs.

Chickenhauler hit the nail on the head...my first question, since I can't tell from the pic; was what class is the receiver hitch? I have one of those haulers for a class 3 - 2inch receiver, and the perimeter is framed in 2inch 14ga. angle - making it alot more burly. It's rated at 500lbs. I've never carried my CR250 or 450R on it, but have loaded it with enough other stuff to know the bike weight wouldn't be a problem.

If I'm seeing it right, your angle is smaller...maybe 1in. or 1 1/4???

The other suggestions for a separate full-length section of channel is the option that would be strongest and safest. Have it welded or bolted to the carrier's frame, add gussets and enough of left-over section of channel to use as a ramp. Installing multiple loops for tie-downs wouldn't be a bad idea either. If you end up spending a couple hundred or so in the end, buy a trailer instead and you won't be limited to carrying only 1 bike.

Chickenhauler hit the nail on the head...my first question, since I can't tell from the pic; was what class is the receiver hitch? I have one of those haulers for a class 3 - 2inch receiver, and the perimeter is framed in 2inch 14ga. angle - making it alot more burly. It's rated at 500lbs. I've never carried my CR250 or 450R on it, but have loaded it with enough other stuff to know the bike weight wouldn't be a problem.

If I'm seeing it right, your angle is smaller...maybe 1in. or 1 1/4???

The other suggestions for a separate full-length section of channel is the option that would be strongest and safest. Have it welded or bolted to the carrier's frame, add gussets and enough of left-over section of channel to use as a ramp. Installing multiple loops for tie-downs wouldn't be a bad idea either. If you end up spending a couple hundred or so in the end, buy a trailer instead and you won't be limited to carrying only 1 bike.

my parents wont let me tow a trailer. And for the cost of even the cheapest trailer, in working condidtion, would be no less then like $300. And the other thing is is that jeep isnt the most powerful. We had a pocket bike, the 80, both of our gear, and then me and my buddy all in the jeep. It wasnt pulling so strong. So, on top of not being "allowed" to pull a trailer, i dont think that the jeep would be able to pull a trailer, 2 bikes, 2 people, and 2 peopls gear.

And again, i already have this 'trac rac' thing, so im trying to work with what i have. thanks guys! :thumbsup:

I have a Jeep Cherokee equipped with a 4.0L efi and AT, and it is no tractor, but will tow my jetski or the 3 rail trailer loaded with big bikes and all gear adn 3 occupants without too much issue.

Get some more pics of this carrier, left, right, top, bottom, etc, and we can give you some better suggestions.

ok ill take some more pictures when i get home from vacation. And the my jeep is a 4.0L "high output" (as they say), efi, and its a stick. but it has 182,xxx miles. ill take some more pictures when i get back