Sign in to follow this  

XR200R keeps dying

I just bought this bike last week. It seemed to run fine for the little bit that I tested it. Idled just fine after it warmed up. Fast forward to yesterday when I took it out for the first time. Everytime I would come to a stop, it would die. If I tried to go down a hill, in gear, just idling it would die.

The only things I have done is change the plug and check the air filter. I re-checked the filter to make sure I had it on all the way. I read that if it didn't seal, that too much air could get in and cause this. I put the old plug back in. I was just going in a 30ft circle in the backyard, and when I would stop, it would die. As long as I'm on the gas, it runs fine. No sputtering or anything. I've messed with the idle screw, and that didn't help. At times, it will idle fine and then start revving. Other times, it will idle fine and then just die.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to motorcycles. This is my first bike, and I haven't gotten a service manual yet. Any ideas?

Mel

The problem is probably a plugged idle jet.

It was OK when you tested the bike, but quickly clogged later.

This is common when a bike has been sitting for awhile.... did you think to drain the old gas out and put fresh gas in it before riding it?

Now you need to drain the float bowl on the carb, remove the float bowl, remove and clean the idle jet. The idle jet is recessed in a small hole next to the main jet.

No, I didn't drain the gas tank. It barely had any gas in it, so I just went and filled it up. Do I have to drain the gas tank now if I take the float bowl off?

Mel

All of the junk would have settled into the bottom.

When you pull the float bowl, look to see what junk is in there.... probably some.

Clean the idle jet, main jet, air passages, and float bowl.

If there was only a little gas in the tank and you filled it with fresh gas it probably will be OK.

You might drain a little gas out through the petcock into a can to see if it looks clear... check also to see if there is water or sediment in it.

I just ordered a FSM, so I'll have to wait until it comes in to check it. I have no idea how to remove the carb or anything. It sucks being this stupid!!! :thumbsup: I also laid it down a couple of times riding, so I've read where that could loosen up sludge, etc and cause problems. What sucks is I know taking the carb off and cleaning it will only take 20 minutes, but I don't want to risk it without the manual.

I'll keep ya updated on what I find out. THanks again for everyone's help!!!

Does anybody have a FSM or exact knowledge of taking the carb off of my '95? If so, could you email or pm me the instructions? Remember, I'm an idiot, so general instructions wouldn't work. I just hate waiting on the FSM to come in for something I know is simple.

Mel

You said you replaced the plug. If the new one was way, way, way too cold that might cause your problem.

Was the new one the same exact plug? NGK?

You said you replaced the plug. If the new one was way, way, way too cold that might cause your problem.

Was the new one the same exact plug? NGK?

Yeah, it was the same plug. The problem ended up being the valves were shot. I was losing compression so bad that it wouldn't idle right. So, two new valves, new piston rings and topend rebuild later :mad: ....it's running good.

Mel

Cool!

Curious, did you buy the valves from Honda or did you buy one of the many aftermarket valves list in the Parts Unlimited catalogue? (something most dealers would have)

Aren't OEM Honda valves about $50/each?

Aren't OEM Honda valves about $50/each?

Yes, they were. :mad: I just went ahead and did it though because I had a ride coming up and wanted it back. Live and learn I guess.

Mel