Sign in to follow this  

Help with '05 WR450 please!!

I recently got an '05 WR450 with 11 miles on it and not a speck of dirt on it. The bike was as close to new as possilbe and still be a used bike. When I got it, it would only stay running with the choke on, but I was planning to do all the free mods as soon as I got it, so I didn't bother trying to fix the original problem.

I live in Oregon and am normally in the 0- 4000' range. Ocassionally, I ride in an area that is in the 4000- 7000 range. Now temps range 70- 90. Much colder in winter.

I got the Yamaha AIS removal kit and performed all the free mods. I also got the PMB insert. At this point, it had the stock 165 MJ, 48 pilot, and the AIS kit needle in the 4th position as is recommended in the instructions. In the test ride, it felt great 0- 1/8 or 1/4, bogged 1/4 - 5/8, and ran great up top. I moved the needle up and down and didn't seem to get any results. I referred to Indy's chart and determined that I was probably lean and got 168 and 170 main jets. I installed the 170 based on the recommendation of the guy at the shop.

After these changes, it ran MUCH better, but still had a bog in the mid range. I moved the needle a few notches in each direction with little change. Ultimately, I had a ride coming up and was sick of all the tank/ carb removal practice and decided to ride it like it was to see how it did.

The area we went riding at was at about 4500' and the bike ran poorly. OK way down low, considerable bogging and sputtering in the entire mid and pretty clean from 3/4 up. My assumption was that I was too rich. I changed out to the 168 main and if there was any change, I think it may have gotten worse. The two guys I went riding with had no jetting issues at the higher elevation.

At this point I don't know where to head next. I am using the needle from the AIS kit (don't have the JD kit yet, but am in the process of buying it) and I don't know how this needle relates to the JD needles. I also don't know if I am just dealing with improper jetting or if there may have been a pre-existing that was causing it to not idle. I have read guys talking about thier squirt being off, but I didn't get a manual with my bike and therefore don't have the instructions to look at.

I'm about ready to lose it! :thumbsup: Does anyone have any recommendations for a logical process to try to fix my situation? I wouldn't even be opposed to taking it to someone that could put it on a dyno and get it dialed, but I'm sure that's spendy and I'd rather not spend the $$ if I can do it myself. The bottom line is that I have spent ALOT of hours messing with it and would love to be able to just go riding. :ride:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Since all the free mods were done, it has idled fine- through all the above mentioned adjustments.

Also forgot to mention that I have a red MSR fuel screw. I started it at the recommended setting and have screwed it in and out with no real change- for the good or bad.

Thanks again for the help!

the AIS needle is no different than stock just adjustable.

it will never run correctly imho.

the JD kit is always a good choice.

use the sticky post at the top of forum to confirm your pilot circuit.

Pilot circuit is correct.

I have the JD kit on the way. Do you believe that the JD needles will solve the problem by themselves?

I ran the bike last night at around 500' with the 168 main that I had put in up in the mountains and it ran better down low than it was running up there. Still not great, but better.

My cousin has a 05 WR 450 that is completely stock, aside from the mods...air box, baffle, grey wire, throtle stop. His bike rips! Strong from off idle to way up top, I could not believe it.

I've always heard once you do the mods, it is jetted pretty close.