Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy this bike? Does this sound ok?

So I have the opportunity to pick up an 05 CRF250. It's a pretty good deal and I was wondering what ya'll thought.

Here's the goodies:

Full White Bro's Exhaust and power filter

Pro Taper bars

Here's the Problem:

Seller states been ridden about 25 hours but says it needs a valve adjustment.

When I asked him why it needed an adjustment and what the symptom was he stated this...

"When the bikes is cold the bike has to be bump started.. When its warm its kick starts right away"

I am going from a YZ250 to this Thumper and don't know enough about the four strokers to tell if this is all legit. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Oh and last thing.. What's the difference between a CRF250X and CRF250R

Which on did they make in 05? or did they make both?

-Christian

If they need an adjustment and the bike has to be bump started, it needs valve replacement. $$$$$$ Deduct $500 off the price.

Like Fred said... Probably wise to do the whole top end. Valves and piston.

They made both the X and the R for all years.

The X is better suited for woods/trail riding. Softer suspension, lights, wider gear ratios, 18 inch rear wheel, and electric start.

The R is better for track and MX, but is still very capable in the woods.

If anyone needs a good trail bike, check out my garage, both for sale. The nicer one has no problem keeping up with 2 strokes on the trail whatsoever.

hmm.. so for sure the valves will need replacement?

You think a shop would charge about $500 or is that the cost if I did it myself or had a friend that knows what they are doing do it?

I put kibblewhite valves in my 2005 rmz250 and havent touched them since, you can probably get a set for less than 250$.

you might be able to get a shop to freshen it up for 5 bills,but prolly not,they will reccommend alot of other things while there in there and bump the price even further im guessing.you can prolly do a complete top end with valves,piston,rings etc. for less than 300 if you did it yourself.

i replaced the intakes on my 05 crf 450 with stock parts,springs,valves,head gasket and had the seats cut all for around 135 and did the job myself, except the machine work,and it was really pretty easy.thumpertalk oem or crotchroket.com have the best prices on oem parts.