Sign in to follow this  

Easy Air Filter Cleaning?!?!??

Is there and type of cleaner/grease remover that cleans air filters well...ive tried oxy clean and it didn't work very well...tried simple green and it didn't work very well either...ive bought pj1 air filter cleaner before and it works awsome i just don't want to have to spend 8 bucks every other time i need to clean my air filter...does anybody have any advise?

well thats what i was thinking but i didn't know if that would ruin the foam or not....i think i might try that

Gas will ruin the foam. Diesel does not. I keep two gallons in a re-sealable bucket to dunk filters in. I change it when it gets too dirty.

Gas will ruin the foam. Diesel does not. I keep two gallons in a re-sealable bucket to dunk filters in. I change it when it gets too dirty.
I can get kerosene by the gallon so I use that but diesel is probably just as good. But be aware that all that really does is break down the filter oil, to really get all the dirt out of the filter you need to wash it with some kind of soap. Regular old Dawn dish detergent (the blue stuff) works great. I dunk my filters in the kerosene to loosen the filter oil, then wash them a couple times in the laundy room sink with Dawn, I keep doing it until the filters look totally clean and I don't find any more dirt/sand in the bottom of the sink after I drain it.

You could always switch to the No Toil kit, cleans really easy and works great! And the Oxy Clean will do wonders with the oil that No Toil uses.

I just switched to No Toil. But it's basically Oxy clean. What didn't work well with Oxy clean?

I would recommned (if you didn't already try this) to clean your filter very good with PJ1. Then use the No Toil filter oil. When your filter gets dirty just throw it in your washing machine with some oxy clean/no toil cleaner. Make sure it's on warm/hot water though.

Basically if you start on no toil you need to stick with it. No toil cleaner doesn't really clean other filter oils (such as PJ1, etc) very well.

I use gas. Then hot soapy water. The gas hasn't hurt any of my filters yet.

Hot soapy water after every ride. Has worked for me for many years.

Bruce

No toil is the cheapest and best way to go. You go to wally mart and buy a big thing of oxy clean for like 6 bucks and you can clean about 10 filters. That little thing of PJ1 cleaner I used to use with maxima fft was like 7 bucks and it cleaned two filters.