Sign in to follow this  

Shelby....

Hey Shelby, how'd the FCR equiped KLX do up in CO? Where did you guys ride? How high? What jetting changes did you end up with? Curious....

Bill

Hey Shelby, how'd the FCR equiped KLX do up in CO? Where did you guys ride? How high? What jetting changes did you end up with? Curious....

Bill

Sorry, I meant to write an update last night, but I had just finished a 17hr drive and then today it was back to school and work.

The bike was nothing short of fantastic! I LOVE my KLX so much now it is ridiculous. The FCR is great, I went with the 145 main and whichever pilot you are using (55?), I can't remember right now. The jetting worked great, I rode from 9-13k ft, and it was great everywhere, although Maye a little down on power, as it wasn't exactly a wheelie machine, but I will see how it runs when it is tuned for back here at sea level. It should be noted that I still haven't put the 13t CS sprocket on yet, which I also believe to be a contributing factor. But, the bike at elevation did feel as powerful if not more powerful than it did with the TM33 at sea level, so that means something.

The suspension was by far the biggest change. The suspension makes me super confident in my riding, as I was riding at a speed and level way above normal for me. The suspension felt so predictable, balanced, and controlled. The little potholes and bumps might as well not be there, because I wasn't feeling them. It was sprung for a 170lb rider, and I clock in at 188. This never seemed to be an issue though, I was hitting some decent sized trail jumps, and never bottomed, or, its so smooth that I didn't notice. And it is much taller than before. I will measure seat height soon, but I know at the lowest part of the KLX seat, it is almost the identical height as my YZ seat, which is flat, so getting on the KLX is more difficult then getting on the YZ.

We rode at some trails off of Cement Creek one of them being part of Pearl Pass. We also rode Gunsight pass, Italian Creek, Taylor Pass, and some others that I can't remember. We were there for six days, and rode for six days. A tiring and successful trip.

Unfortunately, our schedule was so crazy that I didn't get much time on the trials tire, so I can't really comment on it yet.

Some pics.....

My brother's suburban loaded down

brosburb.jpg

The dogs by the condo

thedogs.jpg

My broken finger on day 2, nothing a little athletic tape can't fix

SUC50021.jpgSUC50022.jpg

some nice scenery

pretty.jpg

A nice water crossing off of cement creek

watercross.jpg

Here is a pic of me near the top of Gunsight Pass, Mt. Crested Butte is in the background.

cropem.jpg

Cool! Sounds like a great trip. I knew you'd like the FCR!!! :thumbsup::ride: Did you use the collar to get rid of all the bog? Did you change the clip on the needle at all?

Sorry for all the questions, I like to hear how the FCR does at higher altitude. I haven't had mine up high yet, but I'm sure I will soon. Cheers,

bp

Cool! Sounds like a great trip. I knew you'd like the FCR!!! :thumbsup::ride: Did you use the collar to get rid of all the bog? Did you change the clip on the needle at all?

Sorry for all the questions, I like to hear how the FCR does at higher altitude. I haven't had mine up high yet, but I'm sure I will soon. Cheers,

bp

No need to be sorry, all the questions are what makes this place so great, you can get answers.

I did the taffy mod a little while back, but I cleaned out the carb after I timed it, including removing the diaphram. I had a slight, barely noticeable bog that I could only notice when I would try to pin it wide open from idle, there are way too many variables to know for sure what caused it. I would guess it was a combination of non precise AP squirt timing, slightly rich pilot jetting, and the high altitude in general. But that will all be sorted out soon. It is important to note that in this condition, at this altitude, the FCR out performed the stock and mikuni carbs by a long shot.

And yes, I completely forgot to mention, I dropped the needle one clip. I am starting to get pretty damn good at this jetting thing, I did my KLX w/ the FCR, my dad's w/ the mik 33mm, my YZF, My bro's CR 2 smoke, and a friends CRF250. All of them ran great except for the CRF, It had a pretty serious off idle bog, but its not my bike and I don't know how well it was jetted before. BTW that piece is a PITA to get to the carb, I had to remove the silencer and lower the subframe. :applause: The yamaha and KLX are by far the easiest, just loosen and turn. :applause: