Sign in to follow this  

2003 WR250 any good?

I have done a search and still cant find what I need to know. I have found a new left over 2003 WR250 at a dealer that I may trade my 03 RM125 on. The dealer claims that the 03 WR will go 3 or 4 seasons with out needing to be rebuilt if maintaned properly, valves in spec.,oil changes, and air filter kept clean. The dealer claims the reason for this is that the WR in stock form is in a state of detune compared to the YZF, he says the WR makes 30hp thats the same as my RM puts out. So is the guy giving me a line of BS or is he telling the truth? If I buy the WR it will be left stock. I dont ride my bikes up on the rev limiter so is the 3 or 4 seasons between rebuilds possible?

I have done a search and still cant find what I need to know. I have found a new left over 2003 WR250 at a dealer that I may trade my 03 RM125 on. The dealer claims that the 03 WR will go 3 or 4 seasons with out needing to be rebuilt if maintaned properly, valves in spec.,oil changes, and air filter kept clean. The dealer claims the reason for this is that the WR in stock form is in a state of detune compared to the YZF, he says the WR makes 30hp thats the same as my RM puts out. So is the guy giving me a line of BS or is he telling the truth? If I buy the WR it will be left stock. I dont ride my bikes up on the rev limiter so is the 3 or 4 seasons between rebuilds possible?

you can go forever without rebuilding them. there great bikes go for it!!

GOOD LUCK!! :thumbsup:

you can go forever without rebuilding them. there great bikes go for it!!

GOOD LUCK!! :thumbsup:

I have nothing but good things to say about the 2003 WR 250F. This is a good bike and is dependable. If you properly maintain the bike, it should serve very well for many, many years........

I would not hesitate in buying it......

In my 4th season. Bike is solid and reliable, after you replace the "bend in the wind" bars! No question, buy it.

I like mine. Bought it used and abused and it held up fine for one season. Valves are still in spec. How much do they want for it?

I have never had any problems with my 03 WR. But I should caution you that it is not an MX bike. If you're looking for a replacment for your RM125, you should probably consider a YZF. They are equally reliable, but lighter and with stiffer suspension. The WR is however, and excellent woods/enduro racer. It is also very reliable with the proper maintenance.

Rode mine hard for 3 years w/o a problem. Don't leave it stock, it needs a few inexpensive things done to it to make it the bike it wants and should be. Barton also speaks the truth, it's no MX'r either.

Don't leave it stock, it needs a few inexpensive things done to it to make it the bike it wants and should be.

YES! These few, easy-to-perform, inexpensive things to do are a MUST! Also, you'll need to replace the stock bars and tires.

If you buy it, you'll want to reference this link:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/links.htm

Thanks for the info everyone. We are still talking price but it looks like its going to be around $4900 OTD.

I don't know what the rest of you think, but that sounds like way to much for an '03.

I don't know what the rest of you think, but that sounds like way to much for an '03.

I didn't pay but $5300 OTD in 03 for mine, so yes it does sound a good bit high, especially since there have been lots of improvements since then.

I saw a brand new 2006 YZ250F on eBay with a Buy it Now for $4900. They are asking WAY too much for a 2003 WR250F. I would say something around $3500 is about right.

Waaaaaay too high. I paid $4300 OTD for my 05 this past June and a buddy picked up a 06 WR250 for $4600 OTD recently.

Bought my '03 brand new in Sept '03 for $5056 OTD. Although I'd take $4900 for it, I certainly wouldn't pay that for one now. You should be paying in the $2000-2500 range for one that's perfect.

way to much. The second you take it off the floor you'll loose a significant amount of value due to depreciation. NADA Average retail is $3,200. Which means if you went back a day later to trade it in to the same dealer he'd probably only give you $2,500 or so. He's trying to get back all the money he's paid on floor plan over the past 3 years.

Ya I think he is way to high on the price. I am going to stop back at his dealership in the next day or two with $3800 in cash and see what happens.