Sign in to follow this  

Crankcase breather hose.

This past weekend I made a voyage out into the desert. However, I seemed to have forgotten to put the cap on the clear breather tube. The desert is a very dusty place, and I fear that dirt may have gotten into the engine.

Should I sell it now?

Thanks for the help!

Troy

not at all...the crankcase breather doesn't actually suck in....it just allows the pressure in the bottom of the crankcase to equalize when the piston comes down and displaces the air in the crankcase......no dirt probably made it all the way up it...and even if it did. it would end up in a chamber in the top of the cases that is cast into them for the breather.

the intake tract is the one to watch out for.

That last reply was one of if not the worst piece of disinformation that I have seen on TT.Yes leaving off the cap from the breather/relief tube is very bad.What has happened is that you have sucked dirt into the "clean" side of the air filter,pull the air filter and use a flash light and maybe a small mirror and you will probably see a bunch of fine dirt there.As for the response that the engine only breathes out this is certainly not true,when the piston goes down the engine breathes out and when the piston goes up it breathes in.You are on your way to zero valve clearance because you have at least begun the process of hard face removal on the intake valves.If it where me I would tear down the top end and have everything measured or just replace the intake valves and get the valve seats reconditioned and maybe at least a new set of rings,then remove and throughly clean the air boot and carb of all dirt.Hope this helps cheers

Wingman, thank you for spotting false information. I really appreciate that!

Now I'm really concerned, as the bike was occasionally making an unusual noise during the last half hour of the ride. I guess I will begin the tear down and do as suggested.

Thanks guys.