Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400S Break-in? Other....?

Just bought a used (85 miles!) 2005 400S and got nothing with it--no manual, no spare key, etc.

Not sure about what break-in procedure, maintenance, 1st dealer service, etc. should be. No revs above...? (how would I know w/out tach?). Oil change at ...? Preferred oil?

Anyone care to share insight re. what is the best dealer/aftermarket manual, etc. to get to make sure I get stuff done at right time? Break-in procedures? things to look out for/things to preempt?

thanks much--I am loving this bike--sold my Ducati Monster to return to my "dirt" roots and am having a blast---even with the Deathwings still on it!

John

Ride it like you stole it - fast acceleration, fast deceleration - no sustained RPM's

That's the DRZ trick...

Ride it like you stole it - fast acceleration, fast deceleration - no sustained RPM's

That's the DRZ trick...

Not quite.

Ride it like you want it to be the best it can be. A stolen bike is not cared for. A DRZ, cared for is broken in much like this Oil changed after the initial motor run. valves checked about the same time. Steering and suspension bearings lubed.

Go with the technique Motoman discribes on his website.

That deal where you don't go over certain rpms went out with flair pants (Well they are back in).

New manufacturing techniques (micro honing of cylinder) has made the old technique obsolete.

Wondering what I should do. I just bought a 2003 KLX400 with 13 miles on it. I don't think the original owner did any oil or filter change for break in. I am having to clean out the carb to get it running again. Should I still use motoman's procedure? I have had the engine running in the garage in order to get the carb working, so there has been some idle time on the engine.

print the bible out and keep in a safe place for a rainy day.

Now you did it, there goes this thread :thumbsup:

Wondering what I should do. I just bought a 2003 KLX400 with 13 miles on it. I don't think the original owner did any oil or filter change for break in. I am having to clean out the carb to get it running again. Should I still use motoman's procedure? I have had the engine running in the garage in order to get the carb working, so there has been some idle time on the engine.

You might want to do a fresh oil change before going to much further.A petroleum 10W-40, as that 3 year old oil has probably broken down alot from sitting so long.Then proceed with the break-in procedures outlined above.I would go right through the bike and check everthing like change the brake fluids,engine coolant(at least check the ph and freeze point),clean and lube the drive chain and lube clutch and throttle cables and set the free-play,fully charge or replace the battery,check tires for dry rot and set pressures, etc.etc. And make sure the perches are tightened properly.After the break-in change the oil again and clean the oil line screen as well.Do just like Bronco says...valve check,complete chassis lube job etc.

Google can sometimes be your freind. A couple of things to try to help your plight may include:

drz info

drz400s manual