Sign in to follow this  

socket size

Need some help. I just bought my boy a 2006 CRF230. He took it out for his first ride. I thought I would change the oil (get rid of the original). Well, it was all good. However, I didn't have a socket to fit the drain bolt. Anyone know what size that bolt is? And what size socket it will take it off? Geez. I don't want to have to go out and buy a set. Just the one that will fit the drain bolt. And to add another dumb question. I assume the 230 does not have a oil filter either... Little help for a newbie on the 230. Thanks...

I just used a wrench and a screwdriver to change mine. Tighten the wrench to the drain bolt, stick the screw driver through the hole at the other end of wrench and twist. Make sure someone is holding on to the wrench so it doesnt slip off the drain bolt.

You need a 24mm 6-point socket.

There isn't a removable oil filter. Under the oil drain plug is a screen. Be careful not to lose any O-rings when you clean the screen.

There is a centrifugal oil "filter" on the other side of the engine, but it is a long-term maintenance item. It simply spins suspended particles out of the oil and collects it. It simply gets wiped clean, but again, it doesn't need to be done frequently.

You need a 24mm 6-point socket.

There isn't a removable oil filter. Under the oil drain plug is a screen. Be careful not to lose any O-rings when you clean the screen.

There is a centrifugal oil "filter" on the other side of the engine, but it is a long-term maintenance item. It simply spins suspended particles out of the oil and collects it. It simply gets wiped clean, but again, it doesn't need to be done frequently.

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

I use a 15/16ths 12 point socket on mine, fits perfect!

Yep, a 15/16" socket is .9375", so it is close to the actual 24mm (.9448") hex size on the Honda. The reason I use six-point sockets everywhere on the bike is to keep the nuts unblemished, the twelve's just contact the corners of the fastner, but I'm anal. The torque requirement on the drain plug is so low that it shouldn't matter either way.

6 point 24mm. Same as the rear wheel and the cover that you need to remove to check valve clearances on top of the engine...

For some reason I thought a deep socket was handier to get... must be getting old, don't remember why.

Sears, auto parts stores, etc.

I love this site...:confused: :confused: :confused:

I can find out any information I ever need on this site. I just wish I had more knowledge to give to everyone else that needs it...

I can find out any information I ever need on this site. I just wish I had more knowledge to give to everyone else that needs it...

You'll learn. Just gotta read up and ask questions to the guys that know a whole lot :confused:

As you get familiar with your bike and go through maintenance and upgrade processes, you will be surprised at how much knowledge you'll be able to provide! :confused:

Your going to need a set of sockets b/4 you know it.

Go on over to sears and get a set of Craftsman sockets b/4 you round of all your nut and bolts.

I already have a pretty good socket set right now...only goes up to 21 or 22mm. I need 24 mm.

As you get familiar with your bike and go through maintenance and upgrade processes, you will be surprised at how much knowledge you'll be able to provide! :confused:

Funny thing is, I just cleaned two of the three carbs I have and now my brother is bringing his bike over so I can help him out with his!!!:confused:

So on this note...what set do you ride with?

24mm 6 point for valve, rear tire?, valve cover.

Did you say the deep socket was a bad idea?

Just got my bike before summer and riding season is now just starting... thanks

This is a bad question for me...you can go with :confused: I think the term is "stock". Even the tires are stock on the bike. It's my wife's bike, and she does not ride hard at all. I did use the 15/16th socket to remove the oil drain plug (found an old socket set).

I wish I could have more information for you. Try a new post, people are very friendly and helpful on this site.

You shouldn't need to bring a set of tools riding with you to adjust valves... Just adjust valves at regular intervals at your house, then when you ride, just bring a few tools you might need..