Sign in to follow this  

SM Tyres (Tires) Pilot Power, Sport or Road

Lots of persons praising the Powers - are they really suitable for those of us not who don't ride on the ragged edge all the time ?

I mostly commute and still have a little unused rubber at the edges, so I am not sure that the Powers will do anything for me and could well have some ill effects.

I used Pilot Roads on my TRX850 and loved them. I found that they were as sticky (for me) as the Sports and lasted longer.

Cheers

I'm a little confused as to what is what. People are calling these tires different names. Michelin Has 3 tires or Tyres depending where your from. All are Pilot...The "Road" (road/sport), "Power" (sport), and "Race" (hypersport). This info is off their website, not what is printed on the tires. For all I know they all say "Pilot Power" on the tire itself. Which are you considering?

they don't do a sport anymore. it was between the road and power. i had a set on a 1000cc vtwin and didn't like them. i run pilot powers on the drz and they seem to be good. while a big sports bike can eat them in 3500kms a drz with a 1/3 the power and half the weight will get alot more from them than you think. i have used Metzler M3's and will definitely be using them again, great grip wet and dry, and they last along time. i know it sounds like a contradiction but the new M3's are that good.

Not sure I just made the call on that a week or 2 ago. I bought Pilot roads for my Z1000. The Powers get a good review but wear like any sporting tire. So I opted for the roads to get the extra mileage. I no longer ride like I used to nor do I want to replace tires regularily.

Pirelli has a deal going (buy a rear give you a front) so did avon I do believe but I don't think the sizes for the rear will work. As I think they are only 180+.

I have an Avon (rear) on my DRZ right now but have not gotten used to the SM rims yet so I haven't flogged it that bad yet. Again though I did not go for the supersport tires.

My other concern is it is so F'ing hot here, I am worried a supersoft tire will just disappear. Never before have I felt tires this HOT after even a casual ride. Warm yes but never HOT.

How about those new Dunlop Qualifiers? They seem to be the new flavor of the month... anyone tried or heard anything about them?

they don't do a sport anymore. it was between the road and power. i had a set on a 1000cc vtwin and didn't like them. i run pilot powers on the drz and they seem to be good. while a big sports bike can eat them in 3500kms a drz with a 1/3 the power and half the weight will get alot more from them than you think. i have used Metzler M3's and will definitely be using them again, great grip wet and dry, and they last along time. i know it sounds like a contradiction but the new M3's are that good.

How are the Powers in the wet motard_mike ? (not that we have to worry too much about rain)

Cheers

Very good. i can pull a half decent wheelie in the wet on them...... well actualy a crap 1st gear one. but the tyre has the grip. they seem to have good feel when they let go, you can feel the limit and when it does let go it is nice and smooth. i might be going to oran park on sat so that will be a real test.... i have aslo used avon vipers, they are very soft and make you look like a hero with rubber balls on the edges of the tyre and just ripping rubber out of the sides of the thing but dident actualy offer any more grip?? so id say pilot powers or M3's, not the softest out there but still a better tyre than i am rider.

How about those new Dunlop Qualifiers? They seem to be the new flavor of the month... anyone tried or heard anything about them?

I've heard they have the grip of the pilot power but wear twice as fast. Made in the US though...