Sign in to follow this  

are spring calculators correct

I have a 03 yz250f. By the Race Tech spring calculator, I need a 5.4 shock spring.It says that a 02 yz426 spring is 5.4. I have one from my old 426 and put it on my 250f. My problem is I only have about 8mm of free sag.So is the spring bad or do I need a stiffer one? I would hate to buy another 5.4 and need a 5.6 or something.. Thanks

If you are saying that you have the preload adjusted for 100mm of race sag and when you get off the bike it has only 8mm of free, the spring is too soft. When you have the preload adjusted for 95-105mm of race sag, you should have 25-35mm of free sag. I always have the opposite issue, when I set the race sag for 100mm I end up with 50-55mm of free sag, but thats because I weigh 135 LBS. :thumbsup:

Yeah, thats my problem. It shows to be too soft, but by the spring calculators the 5.4 is good up to 240 lbs. so it should be the right spring. I am ordering a tire and chain this week so I will have it for the weekend and want to get the right spring also. My current spring wasn't used much, because I changed it soon after I bought the 426 so it should be good. :thumbsup: