Sign in to follow this  

Mad River TT Ride report

Ride Report for the annual Thumpertalk ride@Goose Creek/Mad River

Alex and I arrived at Goose Creek just behind Scott and his family around 2:30pm or so on Friday. Camp was set up and Alex and I drove a 5 gal. gas can up to Maverick Saddle for an emergency fuel stop if needed. Soon after we arrived back,a KTMTALK member and his son from Port Angeles arrived and set up camp with us.

Not really sure who might show up for the ride Saturday morning I rode the campground asking most camps with bikes if they were interested in the planned route. By doing this we found a group of 7 riders that wanted to tag along. The 9:30 riders meeting was quick and I decided to cut off a few miles by eliminating the Two Little lakes and heading straight for Tyee from Mad Lake. Last minute preparations were made, the group of 13 riders staged for pictures and we headed out.

I figured Jeff and Scott should be out front and I would bring up the rear for the Alder Ridge leg. Of course the dust was a constant problem, but spacing solved some of this until the switchbacks bunched us up. Somehow Sham on his KLX goofed one of the worst switchbacks. Both his bike and body landed on the tread below without any injuries or bent parts. A most impressive wipe-out. A couple of the youngest riders also struggled over Alder Ridge but we all made it!

When we made Mad Lake I discussed trail options with some of the riders. My concern being that many of these new riders did not have the experience to make the Tyee Ridge trail without major problems. Fortunately one of their friends knew the area and could get them back to camp by way of Maverick Saddle using easier trails. Since myself and Alex were the only riders that had been to Tyee Lookout I really wanted to get the rest there.

Part way to Tyee, about the time we are getting to the first rocky sections, Jeff went down pretty hard. He gives the thumbs up and I take the lead the rest of the way. Along the way we meet up with the FS ORV riders taking a nap in the shade. We exchange pleasantries and take off with Mason taking pictures as we leave. The view from Tyee is wonderful. The lookout was open and we spend 20 min. resting and taking pictures.

Since the lower Billy Trails and Mad River have blow-downs, we rode the two track back to Cougar Ridge, Mad River and out to Maverick Saddle. We did not bother to stop at Cougar Mtn having plans to do that on Sunday. Everyone was good on fuel and we logged around 65 miles. I made sure the other group made it back, which they did with one guy taking a soil sample on the maverick saddle road.

SUNDAY:

Jeff, Scott, Alex, Craig, and I decide to ride back to Maverick, fill the 4stk with the cached fuel and ride Jimmy Creek. Right off the bat Scott fouls a plug, gets that fixed then promptly piles his bike into a tree smashing the pipe. "Sorry Scott, keep the brew cold and have dinner waiting for us when we get back" we say and leave him in the dust. Jimmy Creek had enough blow-down on it which made us decide to try something else....the Hi-Yu trail.

Starting on the Northend we chatted with the outfitters a bit before heading up the trail. Now I know why it has a double diamond rating. Alex crashed along the way, he rolled both himself and the bike down the slope. The task of getting his bike back on the trail pretty much wore me out, and we had most of the technical sections to go yet. With Jeff's help and guidance everyone make it to the Mad River trail. Thanks Jeff! Fun trail, but not for everyone. Myself, I cant wait to try it again.

I finish the day by strapping the 5 gal. empty fuel can to my bike and ride back to camp satisfied.

Thanks to everyone for riding and the help. I look forward to next year.

TONY

Nice write up. Too bad I didn't have a bike for that ride.

I have yet to get to Tyee and would like to do that once this year. Is one way easier to get to it than another? What about the trail makes it a tough ride? I can generally make it through the tough stuff, I just don't like steep cliffs 6" of to the side of the trail.

Hopefully we'll see some pics.

Greg

great write up. I'm head up there for Labor Day. I want to hit as many trails as possible in the upper mad lake area. Thanks for the update! Wish you had pictures :thumbsup:

Nice write up. Too bad I didn't have a bike for that ride.

I have yet to get to Tyee and would like to do that once this year. Is one way easier to get to it than another? What about the trail makes it a tough ride? I can generally make it through the tough stuff, I just don't like steep cliffs 6" of to the side of the trail.

Hopefully we'll see some pics.

Greg

It is not tough, some people just dont like rocks.

TONY