Sign in to follow this  

Street Legal (california) CRF 450X?

What's the scoop on getting an '06 450X street legal in California. I have heard different opinions. The local Honda dealership says it cannot be done, and if you are able to blow it by the DMV, the cops may still confiscate your bike if they catch you. My local race shop says that with a Baja Designs kit (which costs about $600 with installation), they can get a California license plate for the bike.

Anyone have some insight?

Yes - with the X (Green sticker) it can be done. There are several threads on this. They even have links to all of the DMV forms you will need.

Fred Whiley, director of The Off Road Business Association, ORBA www.orba.biz , out of Bakersfield, issued this press release. They attended a meeting in Sacramento several weeks ago with staff from ARB.

ARB announced to them that they had audited the records of Red Sticker Bikes that had been converted to street legal status. They did not audit Green Sticker Bikes that had been converted. Fred said awhile ago, an off roader with a Red Sticker Bike that had been converted to street legal status, gave a Park Ranger some lip about it and the Park Ranger then alerted the ARB about this and they then took action and did the audit and found 1,400 Red Sticker bikes that had been converted to street legal status. Those 1,400 Red Sticker Bike owners will have their license plates revoked apparently because one off roader mouthed off to a Park Ranger. Be nice to your local Park Ranger!!

It appears we Green Sticker bike owners are all safe for now. Phew!!!

ORBA was founded five years ago in Bakersfield and all the staff are full time paid staff. ORBA was started to do what volunteer organizations could not do. They work with the AMA and other off road advocates. It costs $1,000.00 per year to join and be a member. This is how they are funded. Businesses like Clawsons are members. Reps from Yamaha go to the same meeting in Sacramento they go to. ORBA is also working with Yamaha and they hope it will result in more model options for us all.

Toyota just donated a 2007 FJ Cruiser to be raffled off to raise money for this organization. You can go to their web site and register to win it. They seem to really know their stuff and are doing a good job for us off roaders.

Fred Whiley, director of The Off Road Business Association, ORBA www.orba.biz , out of Bakersfield, issued this press release. They attended a meeting in Sacramento several weeks ago with staff from ARB.

ARB announced to them that they had audited the records of Red Sticker Bikes that had been converted to street legal status. They did not audit Green Sticker Bikes that had been converted. Fred said awhile ago, an off roader with a Red Sticker Bike that had been converted to street legal status, gave a Park Ranger some lip about it and the Park Ranger then alerted the ARB about this and they then took action and did the audit and found 1,400 Red Sticker bikes that had been converted to street legal status. Those 1,400 Red Sticker Bike owners will have their license plates revoked apparently because one off roader mouthed off to a Park Ranger. Be nice to your local Park Ranger!!

It appears we Green Sticker bike owners are all safe for now. Phew!!!

ORBA was founded five years ago in Bakersfield and all the staff are full time paid staff. ORBA was started to do what volunteer organizations could not do. They work with the AMA and other off road advocates. It costs $1,000.00 per year to join and be a member. This is how they are funded. Businesses like Clawsons are members. Reps from Yamaha go to the same meeting in Sacramento they go to. ORBA is also working with Yamaha and they hope it will result in more model options for us all.

Toyota just donated a 2007 FJ Cruiser to be raffled off to raise money for this organization. You can go to their web site and register to win it. They seem to really know their stuff and are doing a good job for us off roaders.

Sweetness!:thumbsup: I knew there was no reason to panic just yet! :ride:

I hope water Copperworld said is true. I was so pissed when I heard my plates would need to be returned. I just registered two 05' 450 X's. I assume they are green sticker so I am ok? Still BS about the red sticker bikes. Ok for 10,000 gardners to have 2-stroke blowers and the like but god forbid you run your 450R in the Mojave desert!!!!!! BS

Sweetness!:thumbsup: I knew there was no reason to panic just yet! :applause:

Panic? ... speaking for myself, I'll only panic when I get a knock on my door and JohnnyLaw is asking for my plate. Otherwise... the words from one's mouth, are being twisted into something ... well, something most of us need not worry about. :ride:

.... amazing how people can turn something into chaos, when it's really just hear-say or doesn't even involve the people they thought it would. :applause:

... back to riding my plated 450X :applause:

:applause:

I hope water Copperworld said is true. I was so pissed when I heard my plates would need to be returned. I just registered two 05' 450 X's. I assume they are green sticker so I am ok? Still BS about the red sticker bikes. Ok for 10,000 gardners to have 2-stroke blowers and the like but god forbid you run your 450R in the Mojave desert!!!!!! BS

The reason that it is only red sticker bikes is the ease with which they can be identified. Just look for the "C" or "3" in the eighth position of the VIN and you know. Identifying the green sticker bike is much harder. Maybe too hard for those government workers (we hope). Time will tell.

The only tool CARB has given the DMV to know if the bike is street legal or not is the VIN #. Remember the 300 million that the DMV spent on a computer system that did not work? This is what it was supposed to fix. You can still register an out of state bike here with a plate if it had a plate from that other state. The interstate commerce laws will make sure that avenue is always opened. If it's legal in another state, it's legal here. Thats how cars from Oaklahoma are registered here.