Sign in to follow this  

kxf 450 nighmares?

Rode the kxf the other day and have to say.....it was pretty nice.

Got a great 06 crf 450, and might be changing for several reasons. Do these things hold up to a weekly race schedule. The last kawis I had were garbage 97-98. Have you guys heard any night mares???? or has even kawi stepped up and got things reliable?

My Honda is so rock solid!

Thanks for the input!

And there ya have it....'nuff said.

(Highflier.....dig the album cover.....the Nuge rocks!)

Watch the 2nd moto from Southwick and then go ask Bubba how great the KXF is. A snapped crank would definitely ruin my day!

I think the fact you dont see many around out there is enough to tell the story. Maybe in a few more years of change they might get it right. I doubt it though. Ill stay with Honda.

You will get relevant KXF info from the KXF450 forum.

I was thinking that I would get a more truthfull response over here if they are timebombs!

Any of the big 4 or that orange one will do you just fine. Its all in how you take care of your ride. You see a sea of red everywhere because the CRF has been out since 2002. And has got bike of the year with most mags every year. The KX just came out in 06 or 05 right? I see plenty of KXs round here. I love the way they turn, it actually goes where you want it to. Unlike my 2005 CRF that most times goes where I want it to,, and likes to wash out alot.

I'm always leary of first year production bikes...Even though I've been a Team Green fan in the past, I'll stick with the Red machine for another year or two :thumbsup:

Rode the kxf the other day and have to say.....it was pretty nice.

Thanks for the input!

did thou nost answer thine question allready :thumbsup:

With the 06 model's after 10 hours of hard usage the piston end of the connecting rod's begin to oval. If you're a trail rider you may or may not see this problem.

If you are going to buy one wait until the 07 hits the floor.

2 people I know have them. One hasn't had any problems. The other had his engine let go after 11 hours (piston flexed, took out crank, cases, head, rod, everything but the tranny. The dealer warrantied most of it, but its already making noises again that would keep me off the thing. I'm sure the 07 will be better, and I think they are great looking bikes, but if I ever get off Hondas, it will be to go back to Yamaha, now that they have a ridable 450.

The 06 has had its issues, but i firmly believe the 07 will be a great bike, i am hoping to get a 450 by october or so and i think its going to be either the yamaha or kawi, although i love how the rmz turns!

With the 06 model's after 10 hours of hard usage the piston end of the connecting rod's begin to oval. If you're a trail rider you may or may not see this problem.

If you are going to buy one wait until the 07 hits the floor.

Fred is correct here , i have been doing motor work for acoupple of az pros and they do kill the piston pin just like Fred says,---i have had trans trouble also and nagging handling problems ---

i have been adding a bronze bushing to the rod end to save the thing ----its not really the way to go,

and don't even think of the 250 green bike -----those things do not last long when beaten on .

I'm always leary of first year production bikes...

Ditto that....I'm leary of first year production runs of anything motorized. The last "first model run" that I've bought that was green was a Dodge Ram....aka JunkBuggy...while thumbing through Webster's dictionary one day, I noticed the definition for "Dodge: To Avoid"...made my day...

:thumbsup:

i ride a kx450 and it's awesome!

i ride 2 times a week and race about 2-3 times a week. yea... maintain your bike and it will be good to you. I came off a honda 450 which was awesome also. the kx is a little more comfortable and looks cool... so i went with a kawi... i ride my sooo hard and it's still tight as day 1....well maybe day 2 or 3, but it's perfect.

they green machines are great bikes, and if i ever left hondas it would be for one of those, i rode one a little while back and it felt amazingly similar to my honda 450. i like them, and think i cold go just as fast on them, but its all about where i can get the best deals right now :thumbsup:

Watch the 2nd moto from Southwick and then go ask Bubba how great the KXF is. A snapped crank would definitely ruin my day!

The same thing happened to me on my STOCK 05 crf450, and I'm not bubba either. Shit can happen on any bike, but I wasnt impressed when my engine exploaded. Makes me doubtful to buy another 4 stroke. My brother just got an 06 yz250 and its a nice bike, a little less power but its lighter too.

Other than the motor problem that have all ready been stated the forks need help. The last 1" of rebound there is no damping. It is fine for motocross but in the desert it feels like the bars are going to fall off. Several local racers have stated the same thing so I know it is not just me. :thumbsup:

Fred is correct here , i have been doing motor work for acoupple of az pros and they do kill the piston pin just like Fred says,---i have had trans trouble also and nagging handling problems ---

i have been adding a bronze bushing to the rod end to save the thing ----its not really the way to go,

and don't even think of the 250 green bike -----those things do not last long when beaten on .

I think this is reason enough. I'd listen to a guy that works on bikes alot....