Sign in to follow this  

300 EXC altitude jetting

Just picked up an 04' 300 EXC, what an awesome bike. Feels like it is abit ffat in the jetting, not crispy, no real bark. Previous owner says it is stock jetting. My rides start at 4000 and progess to as much as 9,000 ft. Just looking for something to cover the span, although 4000 to 6000 would be the norm. Thanks in advance

Tiger

1) Get the JD jetting kit & install it.

2) Experiment, seat of your pants is the best judge

3) Learn the big picture concepts & trust your gut instincts

When mine is spot on, it'll rip my arms off! When it's not, it can't get out of its own way. :thumbsup:

Get the N3CH and N3EW needles from your KTM dealer. Those two needles will take care of your jetting needs from sea level up to about 10,000'. Check out this thread on KTM Talk to determine the needle position and main jet for your particular altitude and temps. The JD kit is good, but if you want your 300 to bark, you'll be better off with the needle I suggested.

Get the N3CH and N3EW needles from your KTM dealer. Those two needles will take care of your jetting needs from sea level up to about 10,000'. The JD kit is good, but if you want your 300 to bark, you'll be better off with the needle I suggested.

I agree.

I pulled out the JD jetting kit and use these two needles (N3CH, N3EW) exclusively. I use the chart in the back of the manual and it works great for my 2005 300MXC.

I have an 05 300 EXC and love it. No problems what so ever. I ride from 2000

to 6000 and run the stock neddle inthe 4th clip with 160 main and 35 pilot both stock. The neddle comes in the 2nd clip stock. I also run the red power valve spring for more bottom end, V Force Reeds and a PC pipe. :thumbsup:

Get the N3CH and N3EW needles from your KTM dealer.
Does anyone know how to decipher these needle codes or how the N3CH differs from the N3EW? I've got the JD Jetting Guide, but it doesn't seem to cover the N3Cx needles.

You'll need to visit KTMtalk. Go to the jetting forum and check the thread on jetting the 06' 300 (its about 30 pages long). There are lots of explanations on needle tapers in that thread. My understanding is that JD needles are custom needles created by James Dean. The 'N' series needles are various stock needles that are available.