What do you think about an 01 YZ250F?

You have to go with what you feel. If you are unhappy with the way it looks or runs, don't buy it.

What you can do is remember a 4-stroke is a different beast from the old days. Maintenance on the bike is key. Like "Friday" stated, ask those questions. Plus, look at the wheels and try moving them side to side. Your checking the wheel bearings. All moving parts move freely. Don't look at the plastic, that can be changed to easy.

A race bike will more than likely be taken care of better than a trail bike. I say that only because a lot of people that buy "trail bikes" want something that's not been ridden too hard, or so they think. But a person who rides on the trail goes out for hours, a track bike isn't run as many hours on a track. I may get some flack from this - but ask someone who runs a track how long they run it on the track per day as opposed to a trail bike. One good key is to look at the maintenance book for their bike, if it looks used they probably did the work they say.

I have an 01, and its been taken good care of. It has had one top end rebuild, and it still has stock vavles, springs, ect. So they will last a while in the right hands.

Does it have the auto-decompression cam installed? It'll be hard to kick over if it doesn't. The cam is a must.

You have to go with what you feel. If you are unhappy with the way it looks or runs, don't buy it.

What you can do is remember a 4-stroke is a different beast from the old days. Maintenance on the bike is key. Like "Friday" stated, ask those questions. Plus, look at the wheels and try moving them side to side. Your checking the wheel bearings. All moving parts move freely. Don't look at the plastic, that can be changed to easy.

A race bike will more than likely be taken care of better than a trail bike. I say that only because a lot of people that buy "trail bikes" want something that's not been ridden too hard, or so they think. But a person who rides on the trail goes out for hours, a track bike isn't run as many hours on a track. I may get some flack from this - but ask someone who runs a track how long they run it on the track per day as opposed to a trail bike. One good key is to look at the maintenance book for their bike, if it looks used they probably did the work they say.

ALWAYS buy a race bike