Sign in to follow this  

first transmission oil change (wrong weight ?)

I am changing my transmission oil for the first time. the book said "Pro Honda HP Trans Oil" so that is what I got. It is in a tall red bottle. the book says weight SAE 10W40. The HP bottle that I have says SAE 80W/85W. What gives ? Is there more than one kind of HP Trans Oil ? this is what the dealer handed me off his shelf.

you can use the same oil you use in your engine and it wont hurt it theres many oils you can use in the tranny

I am changing my transmission oil for the first time. the book said "Pro Honda HP Trans Oil" so that is what I got. It is in a tall red bottle. the book says weight SAE 10W40. The HP bottle that I have says SAE 80W/85W. What gives ? Is there more than one kind of HP Trans Oil ? this is what the dealer handed me off his shelf.

Your good! That is the right tranny oil. I believe there is only one Pro Honda HP Trans oil and that's it. That's what I put in my 250X. It's suppose to be better than the 10-40 which you can also put in the Tranny.

who else is using a "FULL QUART"?????????

I use 825 CC and it comes out the check hole, so there is plenty in there.

that's the stuff I always use in mine. I always add a tad more than the specs say "just in case"

I have been using Mobil 1 Red Cap (15W50) in both the tranny and the engine now since the bike was new. Bike still runs like new after about 2500 miles. I've only checked the valves once and they were right in spec. Never had any sort of problem with the tranny. The Mobil 1 is much cheaper than anything with the word "Honda" in it. I'd venture to say that it's probably a better oil anyway. I also agree with whoever posted that they were going to pick up a gallon of rotella. That stuff is great too.

who else is using a "FULL QUART"?????????

I use 825 CC and it comes out the check hole, so there is plenty in there.

From what I have gathered some 450X owners have had their trannys seize up for lack of enough oil in tranny. I have yet to hear of a 250X though, but still waiting.

not sure how much recently, have not payed much attention last few times I have been in a rush to get the race prep done. But I pretty much fill my billy trans bottle all the way up and it has a tiny bit left when it starts coming out of the fill hole.

I will measure it next time. But it is WAY more than honda's manual states.

Gear oil weights are a different scale than engine oil weights.