Recessed Wheel Chocks for Toy Haulers

I've seen a type of recessed wheel chock for toy haulers and they seem pretty cool but would like to see if anyone has or has seen a recessed wheel chock like these where the use of tie downs are not necessary. Essentially, there would be an arm that would come up and over the front tire that would clamp to it. Am I crazy, or does something like this exist?

I think what your referring to is the ATK bike shoe

http://www.*******************/eshopprod_cat_1884-14154-14692-0-0_product_183515_keyword_BIKE+AND+SHOE.ATK_BIKE_SHOE-BLUE.htm

I went a different route with my enclosed, I have "etrack" down both sides of the trailer. I used extruded aluminum rails, made for semi truck trailers. They have retracable inserts in the end, that slide out and lock into the etrack rails. Then I push the bikes up against the rail, and tie them down just like they're in the back of a pick-up.

I know you said you did not want to use tie downs, but the main draw back to using a fixed mounted shoe or chock is the lack of options. Once that chock is mounted, thats where the bike goes.

I wanted a little more flexibility, I haul snowmobilies, dirt bikes, road bikes and once in a while lawn equipment. And the rails give alot more flexibility for moving the load around.

Long post, sorry.

There is another option if you have E-tracks - removable wheel chocks from mackieenterprises - the wheel chocks just clip into the E-track and can be removed/installed in less than a minute. I still use tie-downs (again E-track tie downs).

u dont have to use tiedowns for the flip ones

But do they really hold the bike secure. I`ve got a 6x12 enclosed and have been wanting to try these for some time now but have never heard anyone mention them so I thought maybe they were ? . I guess I`ll have to try one, if no problems grab a couple more for the other bikes. :applause:

Does anyone know how well the bike shoes work. I`ve been wanting some but not sure, have never heard any feedback about them.

I've used bike shoes on a utility trailer and my current 5x10 enclosed trailer. I've never lost a bike or come close to it. The bikes stay put. I welded nuts to a piece of strap and bolted this to the bottom of the trailer. I can remove and install both bike shoes in under 5 minutes if I need to use the trailer for other purposes. ?

Why monkey around with recessed wheel chocks or etracks? I have had several of these setups and nothing compares to my bolt it on chock system. Its fully adjustable, light, durable, and can be fit to just about any trailer...hell you can even customize the colors if you choose. CUstomer service from bolt it on is second to none. Check them out at www.boltiton.net Good luck!

Posner

Does anyone know how well the bike shoes work. I`ve been wanting some but not sure, have never heard any feedback about them.

Best thing since sliced bread if you have a bike with 21" wheels. I've used them on two trailers not,, Great devices. I mount them to a plate and E track devices for use in my current TH. I have 6 chocks on E track locks, 2 shoes for wifes bike and mine, and 4 standard chocks for my sons bike and "friends"

Why monkey around with recessed wheel chocks or etracks? I have had several of these setups and nothing compares to my bolt it on chock system. Its fully adjustable, light, durable, and can be fit to just about any trailer...hell you can even customize the colors if you choose. CUstomer service from bolt it on is second to none. Check them out at www.boltiton.net Good luck!

Posner

Interesting design, but not something that I would ever use. It is way to limiting. To each his own, if it works for others, Outstanding. ? I much prefer E track and the ability to lock in, many different types of devices, from chocks to tie down rings, to most anything you want to mount to a E track lock.

I have a 6 X 10 trailer - three rows of e-track on the floor and two tracks welded on the left sidewall - one 16' from the floor and the other 16" from the top of the wall.

I use pingel wheel chocks - They come out quickly - like 10 seconds each - if I want to use the trailer for general hauling, it's very nice.

The pingels hold the wheel and do support the bike both side to side and keep the wheel from "spinning". Sometimes, simpler is better.

I thought about using bike shoes and a couple of my friends encouraged me to do so - but the pingels are much more "quick-release" when you want to get them out of the way.

jeff