Sign in to follow this  

Street legal conversion on 2004 TE250 done, check out these bulletproof LED signals!

When I bought my 2004 Husqvarna TE250 recently, it had a licence plate, and DOT tires... Now it's completely street legal. One of the items for the street legal conversion that took the most time to decide on was the turn signals. I wanted LED signals so they would not have bulbs to burn out, but I also did not want to break the bank, and I did not want THEM to break when I set the bike down, or drove through the woods. I finally found some 8-LED trailer marker lights that are DOT legal on ebay for about $4.50 per light... I then fabricated some aluminum guards for the signals, and was real happy with how things turned out. It would be VERY difficult to smash them...

I also opted for a Baja Designs control switch, I threw on a 1986 Honda XL250R horn, put the stock headlight back on, wired in a rear brake pressure switch, wired in all of the indicator lamps, put on some folding mirrors, and was ready for the road (and legal this time).

Complete photo story:

http://www.gavingear.com/Dirtbiking/Husqvarna%20TE250/DOTlegalequipment,bulletproofturnsignals.htm

Looks nice. I hope those work out for you. My personal experience has been that LED lights are not nearly as reliable as the traditional bulbs. I know, doesn't seem right, but the electronics always seem to crap out. Also, your front blinkers would not survive on my bike/rides.

From your avatar, I can see that durability could be an issue... Do you have turn signals on there?

I know that my brush guards get a lot of abuse where I ride. Not to mention when I crash. I have had really good luck with the short tucked in blinkers mounted to my upper clamp bolts.

On the rear to my surprise the baja designs big bulky blinkers work dam well. The blinkers flex really good. They flex so good I can lay the bike on it's side and the blinkers will flex enough to not break. I do like the fender mount rear blinkers but until I ruin the blinkers I have I won't change them.

Let us know how your set up works in the long run.

I must echo the others, I has the Acerbis hand guards/turn-signals set up on my yz400

I was constantly busting them off. Those are nice little protectors you made, but if you ride/crash like me, you'd need them top and bottom. I think you'll find that is a very vulnerable spot,,, That's why you have the hand guards there right?,, Bike looks great, good luck

My personal experience has been that LED lights are not nearly as reliable as the traditional bulbs.
Are you using resistors? LED's typically need about 2 volts or less. If you have about 6 of them wired in series it would be OK, but any less, or if you wire them in parallel, you'll need resistors to reduce the voltage. :thumbsup:

These are 8 LED trailer marker lights that are setup to hook up to 12V directly... and they only cost $4.16 each, I bought 6 of them, so I have 2 extra in case I do smash them which I'm sure I will.

I like them on the handguards because they offer better visibility on the road. I ride around town most days (why not, I only get the chance to ride offroad every couple weeks) so street legality and safety are a high priority.