Sign in to follow this  

Buying/Inspecting a 2004 DRZ400E

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of picking up a used 2004 DRZ400E. Could anyone please suggest what things in particular i should consider prior to purchasing this particular model (ie valve clearances, bearings, etc) or things i should look at closely when inspecting the bike.

Owned a yz250 many years ago as a teenager however not ridden a bike for many years and i am getting back onto the horse .

Cheers :thumbsup:

Find out if the primary nut fix has been done.

This is the biggest single thing you need to know, apart from the usual wear and tear like valve clearance and MCCT mod covered here.

04/05 is when Suzuki increased the primary nut tension to 101.5 ft/lb and you may have to find out from Suzuki if yours is tight enough.

If that nut comes loose it can be catastrophic to the engine, and it gives no warning as I understand.

Otherwise the DRZ has a very good reputation for reliability here in Oz.

What part John Howard land will you be riding in?

I'm on the Central Coast NSW near the Watagan Forest.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Ask the owner one question...when was the last time he checked the valves? This will give you an idea to the level of maintenance he has given the bike. There are a couple of fixes that are recommended as preventative measures such as the primary.

Thanks for the reply guys ...

Am looking at a few this weekend then going riding in Ballarat, Victoria.

Check the chain stretch and sprockets. The scoop of the sprockets should be symetrical, not shaped like a wave. The chain should fit tight on the center of the back sprocket. If it's loose fitting, you can lift it off the sprocket, you're looking at replacing stuff.

Look closely for any oil leaks. Around the bottom of the fork rubber boots, at the bottom of the fork legs, all over the engine, under the front sprocket cover. Bounce the suspension, it shouldn't be too sticky. And the rebound should be controlled, not too fast. Look at the grease fittings on the rear suspension linkage and swingarm. If it looks like he's added grease, then he probably has maintained the bike.

Get the bike up in the air, or at least one wheel at a time with assistance. Spin the wheels and look for dings, flat spots, and out of round. Hold a pen just off the side of the rim, that's the best way to check for out of true. Do the wheels spin freely, like the bearings are in good shape? Look at the brake pads while you're looking at the wheels. Pop the air cleaner side cover off, is the filter clean? If he hasn't bothered to clean it, make it look as good as possible for a sale, he's probably lazy and hasn't bothered to keep it clean when he was riding it.

If all this looks good, then you have a pretty good chance of buying a good machine. If this stuff is neglected, then he might have been lazy with his oil changes, valve checks, air filter service... Important stuff that is really hard to find out about. If he bothered to buy the Manual Cam Chain Tensioner (MCCT), then he cared a lot about his bike, more than the average guy. Buy it, and you'll be laughin.