Sign in to follow this  

Forks bent\twisted ??

05 Drz-sm :thumbsup:

Ok I had accident, the rear tire spun out on me and I went down on the left side, approx. 60km/phr. The bike hit pretty hard and spun around a few times...

From looking at the bars while sitting on the bike I can tell they are bent or twisted a bit, no biggie, time for aftermarket bars anyways...

But how can I tell if the forks were damaged, is ther something I could look for? or would I need to take it in to a shop to have it looked at ? I have not ridden it since, still pissed about the whole deal, but what what would I look for while riding ?

could be the triple, i bent mine on my 05 sm.. 2 things to try.

1. loosen the upper and lower triple, and kick the front wheel to see if the forks are just tweaked in the triple.

2. take off front wheel, move left fork to the right, and the right to the left. if the forks still look bent in the same direction it's your triple that is bent... if they bent to the other side, it's the forks.

good luck...

Funny I should come across this.

I went down today too! Met a car on a blind turn on a single lane road. Did a panic stop on some wet leaves, Went down pretty good. Luckily had most my body armor on. Except I left my riding pants home. (Guess what got smacked up and scraped the most. Right knee hurting now!) Scared the hell out the tourists.

Inspection of my bike, a few scrapes, nothing major. Till I starting riding, I looked down at my triple clamp. The top clamp appeared crooked. Crap! Thought I bent my fork.

Took the bike home, removed the forks. Could not see and damage or bending.

Then I loosen up the top triple clamp, realigned the clamps, and tighten the clamp bolt. Put all front assembly together. Took a test ride, now all is well.

Might try what I did

Pretty hard to bend the forks. Those things are hard and heavy. Twisting in the triples is very common after going down hard. As has been said, loosen upper and lower triple clamp bolts, straighten everything up, then torque uppers to 21.5 lb-ft, lowers to 23.

Haha ill probably get yelled at for this, but if it happens to me I dont even loosen anything, i just ride up to a tree and use the handlebars to bash the front of the wheel sideways against a tree till the forks turn back to where they need to be in the clamps.

thx for the help

I went for a ride, and at about 130km\phr the get a massive head shake, and I have a scotts damper on it, is it safe to say I had some problems ? :thumbsup: