Sign in to follow this  

KLX300 vs. WR250

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and would like to pose a general question. I imagine this has been posed before but after going back a few pages, I didn't see anything, so forgive me but here's the issue:

I currently have a WR426 that I quite like, however it's a bit of a pain to start and is really more bike than I need to ride with my kids. So... I went out this weekend and bought a used, basically stock '05 KLX300 and am trying to learn about its quirks. So far I've found out it needs a pumper carb, new header and an shifter fix. Looks like these mods are going to run about $500 to get this bike to perform at its best. I guess I could run it stock but this thing can hardly get its front wheel off the ground. Anyway, now I'm wondering if a WR250 wouldn't be a better choice.

What do you all think, I'd appreciate some honest feedback, not just brand loyalty stuff and anyone recall any comparison articles in the last year or two?

Thanks for the help.

Forgot to mention, budget is limited to around $3K, so to be green sticker legal for CA, I'm faced with getting a WR that is no newer than '02. Can't afford an '05.

Do a search in the klx forum, this topic has been extensively covered there. Or just put an autodecompresser camshaft in the 426 :thumbsup:

Shelby,

Thanks! Figured it was a question that had been asked. Did as you suggested and of course got a bunch of hits and I'll read thru them. One question, is the ACR gear still an issue for the '05s?

Thanks again,

Roger

Save the money on the pumper card and just get a dynojet. You may have to use the clutch a bit to loft the wheel in third gear, but it will be reliable enough.

I had a KLX and always liked it. The WR250 is a nice bike too with some advantages. The first advantage being the electric starter. I've laid over my KLX when hot a few times and wore myself out trying to re-start it. That button would have been great.

Overall, the KLX is a good bike if you do some suspension work and all the free mods with dyno jet. It will hold its own with a WR250.... especially in the tight gnarly stuff. The WR250 with its pumper is faster off the start.