Sign in to follow this  

rear brakes ??? bad seals

my brakes wont bleed.... i was told that i have a bad seal... im looking for a place to buy new seals.... anyone know???

my brakes wont bleed.... i was told that i have a bad seal... im looking for a place to buy new seals.... anyone know???

What kind of bike do you have?

I read that you need to bleed using the banjo bolt, not the bleed screw. On some bikes that is. I just popped of the reservoir caps to make sure there was enough fluid, popped out the rubber cap seals and re-installed them. Pumped the crap out of them and went riding. The longer I rode, the better they got. Just MAKE SURE THERE IS ENOUGH FLUID in them!

If you've got a rear brake setup like an SDG Pro Mini, etc, go to a bike shop and get a bleeder banjo to put on the brake master, it makes bleeding 100 times easer.

Also, make sure the brake rod is adjusted so the pedal doesn't QUITE hit the stop when you take your foot off. The piston in the master cylinder needs to move back enough to expose a return orifice or the rear will just pump up and never release.

Thirdly, check how the master is mounted, some bikes use washers between the master and the frame, causing the brake rod to go in at an angle. The closer to straight, the better the master will work.

Try all that before searching for seals.

i looked at the rod on the master cylinder it was somwhat sideways and i cant get it to go straight ... but i took the master cylinder and one seal is bad so i need seals... but i need to fix the brake rod so its straight when i put it back together ...... when you hook the brake rod to the brake lever it just goes on at an angle i thikn its bent or something but i want to get parts then i will try to figure it out...

On my Pro Mini, SDG had put washers between the frame and the master cylinder, which of course put the rod at an angle. It may require tweaking the frame and brake lever a bit to get it closer to true. You don't have to get it perfect, but the closer it is, the better it'll operate.

Now I just need to find out why the master is allowing the rear brake to release completely, I'm loosing a ton of pedal travel to the rear caliper taking up slack every time I use the brake. No more air in the system, it's building pressure, but I thought it was also supposed to only release the calipers enough to release brake pressure, not suck them back all the way.

ya i am going to try putting washers i have tweaked the frame where it mounts a little it helped straigten it out but now i need to find a new seal for it cuase one of them is bad... and that is a pain i have had no luck.... but im taking a little break its pretty upsetting when things keep going wrong...

SDG sells replacement seals, I think NSR50 rear brake master seals will work also, but I haven't tested that theory.