Sign in to follow this  

First valve clearance check...questions

Can't seem to get a response in the KXF forum so...

Checked my valves on my '05 KXF for the first time this weekend. Left intake (as you're sitting on the bike) had nearly zero clearance (couldn't fit a 0.05mm gauge in there), and the right had about 0.08mm. Both had 300 shims. Went to a 295 on the right and it's in spec now (about 0.13). I went to a 290 on the left and still cannot fit a 0.05 feeler gauge in it. Gonna try a 280 next and go down from there.

Is it normal to have a valve so tight as my left one is? I have read that if you have to go more than 2 sizes then it's an indication that the valve is shot, and apparently that left intake is usually the one that goes. If I have to go to, say, a 275 from 300 is that unacceptable? I'll be very disappointed if I need to do a valve job. There aren't that many hours on the bike. I don't race and can't remember ever hitting the rev limiter. I bought the '05 because I thought all the '04 issues had been taken care of... :thumbsup:

I'd call a dealer to be sure. Maybe 1 shim diff but not that much. Bike run ok otherwise?

Another note: Make sure you torque the caps correctly in inch lbs. so you don't spin a cam sprocket.

I went down to a 70 shim on my left intake before a costly valve job.

I would get it in spec and check it after a few hours. If it has moved again start saving for new valves.

Difference in shim sizes left and right is not a concern.

You need valves, your not gonna get more than 10 hours out of that shim job. I've been there twice! it sucks

280 put it in spec...just over .10mm clearance. Going to the track tonight. I'll check it this weekend and see if it moved.