Sign in to follow this  

Burning/Losing/leaking OIL

I have a 1999 TTR 250 and i've noticed that when i do my oil changes that I've lost about half my oil. I change it about every 6-8 hours. I'm not sure what it is but I might have some ideas. My oil drain bolt does not have a rubber o-ring on it but I'm not too sure if theres supposed to be one. Can anyone confirm this? Another problem could be piston rings so i'm told. So any other ideas why im losing oil? Do valves out of spec make the bike burn more oil? Im kind of lost here and dont know what the problem is. It might be something stupid like a rubber o-ring (i hope) or new pistons....I just want it fixed!!!

I have a 1999 TTR 250 and i've noticed that when i do my oil changes that I've lost about half my oil. I change it about every 6-8 hours. I'm not sure what it is but I might have some ideas. My oil drain bolt does not have a rubber o-ring on it but I'm not too sure if theres supposed to be one. Can anyone confirm this? Another problem could be piston rings so i'm told. So any other ideas why im losing oil? Do valves out of spec make the bike burn more oil? Im kind of lost here and dont know what the problem is. It might be something stupid like a rubber o-ring (i hope) or new pistons....I just want it fixed!!!

Yes there is supposed to be an o-ring on the drain bolt..

Yes the rings could be why your bike is consuming oil...

Valves out of spec do not affect oil consumption, they affect the cumbustion/efficiancy of the air/fuel mixture...

It's either leaking out or burning up.

Stains where parked: Leaking out of crankcase.

Smokey exhaust: Burning (rings/piston).

How do you know you are losing oil? Is the oil level in the sight glass going down as you are riding, measuring the oil drained, or what?

Aren't you the same guy who didn't change his oil for a whole year?

if it hasnt had rings put in it since it was bought, it probably needs them

It's either leaking out or burning up.

Stains where parked: Leaking out of crankcase.

Smokey exhaust: Burning (rings/piston).

How do you know you are losing oil? Is the oil level in the sight glass going down as you are riding, measuring the oil drained, or what?

Aren't you the same guy who didn't change his oil for a whole year?

Yeah thats me.... :thumbsup: trust me though since i've been a TT member the oils being changed at least every month. And i only ride on weekends! I know im losing oil because when i put my old dirty oil back in the 1 litre it didnt come close to filing it. And I put about 1.4 litres so thats how I know. Im going to buy a rubber o-ring and see if thats it. Then I probably have to do pistons. But im selling the bike soon...moving up to yz250f