Sign in to follow this  

Jetting, Shimming, Blah blah blah

I just acquired an FMF Q2 pipe and I want to install it with as few carburetor mods as possible. I was told that if I shim the pilot, that should be good enough. I do not want to cut the air box or any of that crap. Can someone supply me with detailed instructions, as I am carburetor retarded. Thanks.

I accept that jab since I busted your stones about that big gay windshield.

You can't shim a pilot jet...that doesn't make any sense. If you don't plan to do any intake or jetting mods, stay with the stock exhaust. Your bike will run worse with the Q2. That said, changing jets takes about 15 minutes and once you take a carb apart, you'll laugh at its simplicity. Get your hands dirty and you'll have a fine running bike.

Can I just change the main jet?

Now you're talkin'. I would start by changing the main jet. I would also swap out the stock throttle needle for a dyno jet needle. The DJ needle has a much more aggressive taper and will allow better fuel flow. The needle is changed through the top of the carb (very easy). These two mods will get you closer....but then you'll need more air. I've run these with the snorkle pulled and an extra intake hole in the top of the airbox with good results. If you're adding more fuel and allowing more flow from the exhaust, you'll need more intake flow. It only makes sense to do all three...otherwise your mixture will be off.

Dan I believe I'm the guy you're getting the pipe from. If you're not going to open up the air box(which you should as it really helps power output) then what you can do is to 1) shim the stock needle with a couple of washers, 2)remove the brass plug from the bottom of the float bowl allowing access to the pilot jet screw.Gently screw the pilot screw in until it seats, then back it out 2- 21/2 turns.I did not find it neccesary to change the main jet if you only do the Q2 pipe as this is the one area that Suzuki made the fuel curve rich enough for your application. All this being said you will still do better if you get a dynojet kit, open the airbox with Jesses mod,and jet per dynojets recommendations. Its really a piece of cake if you give yourself a Satuday afternoon. Jesse will surely help you out too, as you said you've purchased other items from him. When you're done the results will be as dramatic as your suspension mods :thumbsup:

Hey,

I screwed with shimming the needle and changing the main jets for about 2 months, finally got a DJ kit on ebay for $35.00. All I got to say is wow!! That needle makes a huge difference!! It's like a different bike now, pulls alot harder, wheelies no problem with my fat 200lb. ass now.

Ed Teller

06' DR650