Sign in to follow this  

Best free or cheap mods for a CRF70?

My son has an '05 CRF70.

So far, I've done:

*FMF exhuast

*rejetted to get rid of the popping it had after we put the pipe on

*chain guide (ebay cheapo)

*skid plate (ebay cheapo - those cheap bastards don't even include bolts)

*1" bar mount risers (much needed for a bigger 8yr old)

*grips

And that's about it. What else is cheap that I can do to make it spicy? I've heard something about a pod air filter, but I don't really know what that is...and we ride in a lot of dirt and mud, so I don't want to risk anything reliability-wise...?? Pic's or specific links to products?

Cosmetic-wise, what are some top recommendations? Can I get aftermarket plastic for this thing? White maybe? I'm not overly hip on cosmetic stuff, but if it keeps him excited about his bike, I am willing to spend on it...

Finally, and here's a biggie: I think I could keep him on the 70 longer if I bought a nice rear swingarm (long/higher) and a new fork, disc brakes, etc...but ususally I just see them for 50's...is there a source for these same items for 70's? I probably wouldn't do that until next spring, but I'm trying to plan ahead.

Here's a shot of him last fall...before any mods...he's a bit better now, but still learning.

64774580-DSC_0034.JPG

The cheapest way to get power is to install the parts. I don't see them in your picture...

Okay. Seriously, 13 tooth countersprocket, foam air filter if you don't do much mud riding, DrATV sells cams that a pretty cheap but the one in my CRF50 motor is great, and then things get expensive. Things like big bore kits, manual clutch kits, ported or bigger heads.

can't beleive i left that item off...i recently got a 13tooth front for it, just haven't installed it...hoping it makes 2nd gear more useful for him...

re: the cam: so that helps? Does the bike still run nice and smooth with it?

What about my questions about the fork/swingarm to make the bike bigger as he grows...are those options out there for a 70, or is most of that stuff strictly 50?

thnx

n

can't beleive i left that item off...i recently got a 13tooth front for it, just haven't installed it...hoping it makes 2nd gear more useful for him...

re: the cam: so that helps? Does the bike still run nice and smooth with it?

What about my questions about the fork/swingarm to make the bike bigger as he grows...are those options out there for a 70, or is most of that stuff strictly 50?

thnx

n

www.reegmx.com

www.downcomponents.net

The cam works great on my engine but I don't know how it affects the 70. They are cheap. Mine was $23 plus shippping and it's good.

bbr dampening rods, and a shock.

foam filters are fine for riding anywhere, but if you ride is silty or sandy areas i HIGHly reccomend an outerwear.

www.billetware.com swingarms

no plastics currently out for the 70, your stuck with oem.

Or you can get either of the Honda Trail Bikes cams, race head for a screamer, 'stock head' if you want less of a top hit, bit more on bottom.

If its just a 8yr old riding it, rebuild the front forks with 20wt fluid, and put a 1 inch spacer on the rear spring, only cost a few dollars and makes a world of difference. I did this on my bike and it makes a world of difference, its still a little soft for me since i weigh 135 but for an 8yr old it should be perfect. I also have the trailbikes 88kit for the 70 which comes with 20mm carb, cam, piston, cylinder, and all the gaskets. The bike rips with this kitand I highly reccomend it.

will the 50 one fit the 70?

whats the cam?

send the link of the one you got

thanks

if you arent ridin, you aint livin

I don't think the 50 cam fits in the 70. Let me check. I'll reply again in a minute.

Actually the TBQ race cam does fit in a 70. I just checked and here's a link to what I got. It will ft in a 70.

The horsepower gain is small but noticable. The torque gain, however, is amazing. On my 50, it can pull up hills and not drop the revs. I even notice sometimes up hills that I'm not iven pinning it. So it still accelerates up hills in third gear. And it still only displaces 50cc.

so the link on down towards the middle of the page is the one i should order?

is it hard to put in?

how long would it take

instructions?

will my 70 be able to easily pull up in 2nd when i shift from 1st to 2nd?

how much would it cost to get it done?

let me kno

1. You want the TBQ race cam and should consider the valve springs also.

2. The valve springs are a lot harder to install, require special tools, and you will have to remove the head. I just did the cam. It is easy.

3. It should take between a half hour to an hour.

4. I don't really understand you question. If you mean pulling up as wheelying, then yeah probably. The torque gain is very noticable.

5. If you mean get it done like by the dealer, then I don't know. I've never dealt with a dealer I do eveything myself. I'd do it for 10 bucks if you lived near me. But I'm in Virginia. And you probably wouldn't trust a 14 year old kid pulling apart your bike. But I do know what I'm doing. Here's a stopmotion movie of me putting and new piston and head on. You'll see that I'm not lying.

th_TERB1.jpg

will the 50 one fit the 70?

whats the cam?

send the link of the one you got

thanks

if you arent ridin, you aint livin

yes the 50 parts fit teh 70.. the heads accept the same cams, but the 70 head is way better ( basicly the same as tehe TB race head).. just order a stage 2 88 kit adn tell tehm you need the piston for the race head instead of the stock head ( or jsut tell tehm that it's going on a 70 adn they'll know what to send) best power for dollar you can get... and trailbikes has awesome customer support and service