Sign in to follow this  

New bike

Just picked up an 07 525xcw. I was really on the fence trying to decide between the 525 and the 300 two stroke. Being that I ride a lote of open desert the 6th gear on the 525 helped make the final choice. I am moving up from an XR600 so it is quite an improvment over what I have been riding. Rode it a litte this weekend and it seems to have plenty of power but the jetting isnt perfect. I guess I need to talk to the JD Jetting guys.

Who makes the best skid plate and hand guards for this bike?

I have an '06 525EXC, and went with the Thumper Talk skid plate and Enduro Engineering hand guards. Both work fine for me. But the best option in my opinion was the Scott's steering damper. You can ride with a much lighter grip on the bars when hitting the rocky sections or flying along in top gear. It saves me a lot of energy and anxiety.

Cool, I only have about an hour on mine so far so I can't make the call on the steering damper. I do a lot of open desert ridding with lots of sand and rocks so I will probably put one on.

My bike seems to make a buttload of chain noise. Is this normal?

Mike

Get the KTM Hard Equipment quick release skid plate. It's half the weight of an aluminum skid plate, half the cost of carbon fiber, and it can take a beating.

59003090300_600.jpg

Get the KTM Hard Equipment quick release skid plate. It's half the weight of an aluminum skid plate, half the cost of carbon fiber, and it can take a beating.

59003090300_600.jpg

But if your a rock lover, you can still dent your frame. Alum will hold up better in the big hits, I like the Flatland Racing. Btw...they make the EE skids.

Chain slapping is discussed a lot by KTM riders. Digilubej wrote a series on proper chain adjustment with diagrams. Others have added to put cork or foam between the chain slider and the frame, which will reduce the noise.

Assuming that you're talking about cam chain noise, from the responses I've read, a noisey motor seems to be the norm. I can relate to your new found joy, having spent the last 12 years on a DR350S. What a world of difference modern technology makes!

I use a WER alum skid plate, and I like it because it provides just the right amount of coverage and isn't overly huge. It would be what you'd call a desert plate. I've been using the Pro Grip 791 triple density gel grips for quite a while and can't seem to wear them out. I bought them because they come in black/orange and grey/orange and bought a pair of each and haven't even wore out the first pair yet.

Thanks for everyones input, I will probably go aluminimum on the skid plate because I always seem to dent my frame rails in the rocks and it will be less expensive than the carbon fiber. I can live with the chain slap, I will just get a real loud pipe to cover up the noise (Kidding).

How about the hand guards?

Thanks

Mike

Congratulations on turning orange.

I can't help but put my 2c worth in on this bashplate thing.

I have to say that after running Aluminium bashplates on several different bikes, you really should give the Hardparts plastic bashplate a go.

They seem un-breakable, they are so much quieter and they do a much better job of absorbing hits.

An aluminium plate will transfer all the hits through to your frame not just the direct hits to the fram rail area.

Extremely happy!