Sign in to follow this  

Tires: Need alternatives to my worn out Dunlop K606

'01 Yamaha WR426, Dual Sported

My Dunlop K606's on front and rear are getting well worn. The last few months I have considered them average tires until this last week when I did a bunch of riding in Lake Tahoe, CA and the front Dunlop K606 just kept washing out on me, it wouldn't hold a line for anything and off-camber corners were a pain. The rear has performed reasonably well for a dual sport tire with average traction, but the front tire needs to be replaced out of safety concerns, I almost ate crap numerous times because it would not hold a line at all.

Any suggestions for a DOT approved tire to be used 50% street/50% dirt use on hard-packed and rocky trails here in Utah? I willing to try anything on the front that will be better. I may even consider using non-DOT approved tires as long as they have decent treadwear characteristics as I don't have to have my bike inspected for another 11 months.

For DOT dual sport tires I'm using Pirelli MT 21's front and back. They are wearing very well and hook up pretty good. NOT as good as my pure dirt tires, which wear out pretty fast, but hold a line much better. If you want to go with a great front tire for most everything Utah can throw at you, I like the D756. It isn't DOT, but it probably won't last until next July anyway.

The TT store carries the Pirelli and Dunlop tires, so you can look at the tread patterns. The MT 21 rear isn't a real aggressive tread pattern, it's actually pretty smooth at speed on pavement. A more aggressive DOT rear is the Michelin AC10, it will hook up much better in the sand.