New 250x WOT bogging

Third real ride on the X and it's been GREAT!!! But, since I got the bike there has been a serious (but brief) bog from low-rpm-to-full-throttle acceleration. Hower, last night it escalated to serious crackling and break down under WOT. It feels like a fouled plug but the bike runs GREAT when ridden 75% throttle or less. Could this bee jetting? Plug? Valves?

Sorry for the newb Q, but hey, I'm a newb!!!

TIA,

-tom

I had the same problem with an xr400...I had the main jet to rich...dropped it down to 150 from 160 main and the top end bog is 100% gone. Try it and see what happens. Main jet kicks in from about 1/2 to full throttle. Before that you're on the needle.

Speaking of the Quickshot, how much of a pain in the arse is it to install? I will be attempting mine this week sometime.

Quick shot is only a moderate pain. The biggest challenge is rotating the carb to get to the plate on the bottom. Subframe removal might help.

I'm confused. I thought the Pink mod was for the rev limiter, why would it effect a problem that feels like jetting? And why would it just start out of no where?

Pink wire is indeed rev limiter AND also ignition mapping. I see that you have an R also. Sans pink wire will seem closer to the R .

Your problem is 98% in your jetting. If you get it jetted right for your altitude, it won't bog at all. I would stay away from the pink wire mod. It will not directly help the bog. Either buy a JD Jet Kit, or at the very least, pick up a new main jet from a dealer. Honda puts like a 132 main in them from the factory to keep them green stickered in all fifty states. It is EXTREMELY LEAN out of the box. I run a 152 main. I can go from idle to WOT with no bog at all. The pink wire mod raises your rev limiter and if you push the limits, YOUR VALVES WILL SUFFER! Re-jet and invest in a skidplate, some bark busters and some radiator braces. You'll be satisfied with it then. If you still want more power, you should've bought a 450X.

Yeah, its definetly jetting. With stock jetting on mine, if it got to like 30-40 degrees outside, my engine would barely even rev up because it was so lean. There must have been a temperature fluctuation between the time it ran good, and when it ran crappy, yes? What temperature is it outside when you run?

I agree, fix the jetting, everyone is right the bike is way too lean from the factory, as to be Green sticker. Do the CCC mods or at least part of them, I would not do the pink wire a I do not ride at the rev limiter, hence I have never had valve issues. Second, the header on the X is better for low end power than the R header, choose according to what type of riding you will do. Last as for cams, read up and again choose according to the type of riding, I have the Hotcams and love them, great low and mid range. if you want high gains then the R cam is in order, read and see the differences between the years....

I have a JD kit arriving today and have done many of the CCC mods except pink wire (I'm don't ride there anyway) and the cams. Our riding is generally VERY tight and technical so reliability and smoothness are way more important anyway. For the most part the motor will remain very stock. I'm picking up a 450r for the times I need a fix anyway. I have an '05 header and can but haven't really determined how much it makes a difference yet. Otherwise, the bike is great.