Sign in to follow this  

2 questions about my bike...

It's a 2005 CRF250R. Got to ride it for the first time last night and I LOVE IT! Anyway, I was giving it a thorough look over and noticed a tube that is cut and just hanging there. I'll be honest...I know very little about bikes. I have ordered the repair manual and will learn this stuff if it kills me :thumbsup:

Here is a picture of it. Any idea of what this is or does or did?

IMG_0022.jpg

It appears to have been connected to where the red cap now sits. I have some other pictures I could post tonight if needed.

Also, anyone want to explain how the HOT START works on my bike. I have a small lever above the clutch lever that moves toward or away from me. Natural position is away from me. I assume you pull it toward me when trying to start the bike hot but what does it do?

Thanks a bunch!

is there like a yellow tube or something that goes from the valve cover to the front of your bike? i have the same thing from white brothers. it just eliminats the need to drain the overflow tube.

and yes pull the hot start towards you when the bike is hot.

Here is a picture of it. Any idea of what this is or does or did?

IMG_0022.jpg

It appears to have been connected to where the red cap now sits. I have some other pictures I could post tonight if needed.!

your right, its supposed to connect to the air box where that red cap is, thetube looks like it was cut, i would get a new one ASAP, dont want dirt gettin in that breather :thumbsup:

your right, its supposed to connect to the air box where that red cap is, thetube looks like it was cut, i would get a new one ASAP, dont want dirt gettin in that breather :thumbsup:

white brothers has a kit that replaces that whole set-up dan. i have it. you put that cap in there and then get this yellow hose and route it from the valve cover to infront of the engine. it is a really cool deal

white brothers has a kit that replaces that whole set-up dan. i have it. you put that cap in there and then get this yellow hose and route it from the valve cover to infront of the engine. it is a really cool deal

I think that's what I have then. I do have a tube coming down in front of the engine...see pics.

Front.jpg

engine.jpg

CRF250R.jpg

Can you explain what that does or tell me what it's called so I can research it.

The tube coming down the front of your bike is the radiator overflow tube.

In your first picture it looks like there is one of the plugs installed in the airbox from an Applied Racing Crankcase Vent Kit.

http://crfsonly.com/reviews/applied-racing-crank-vent/ar-450r-crankcase-vent-review.php

If thats what it is then the hose in that picture shouldn't even be there (if I remember correctly). I wouldn't ride the bike until you figure out where that hose is supposed to be hooked up to.

You are correct about the hot start lever. You pull the lever when attempting to start the bike when hot. I'm not mechanic but the way it's been explained to me as how it works is kind of like a choke in reverse. When you pull the lever and kick the bike additional cold air comes into the combustion chamber to flush out any left over fuel mixture. I'm am quite sure that is a very simplistic explanation but still in the ball park.