Sign in to follow this  

cool DRZ heat sheilds

After riding around the orange county freeway system on my DRZ yesterday, I came to find out that my pants have a big burn spot on them! DOH!

So I need to turn my search into overdrive so I don't burn up another pain of pants. I didn't want to put the stocker shield back on my nice new rs3 pipes. I have found some but yuck, I can find better, especially for that price. So, What do you guys use? Is there a sweet Yoshimura shield somewhere that I haven't found yet? Are there some real bad ass ones?

Sincerely,

Fire Pants

I don't have a Yosh exhaust but I use the FMF heat sheild that came with mine. I put the stock one one too but I liked the FMF better.

I have never seen any other than FMF's and the stock one. I bet you can make a cool one easily or try one from another 400 or 450, like Honda I saw a pretty cool one on a buddy's bike.

Good luck.

Actually Yosh. has a Yosh. heat shield for their pipes ( look on their web site at the RS-3 picture that is there for the DRZ.) After calling them for it they told me it doesn't fit the DRZ pipe!!! :thumbsup::applause: I just stuck the stocker back on. If anyone finds a cool one to replace it post it. :ride::applause:

Heres' my idea; take the stocker to an electroplater and ask them to plate it with Black Chrome. That would look cool as!

If black is not your color ask them what other options there are.

Maybe also do the mount screws at the same time :thumbsup:

Heres' my idea; take the stocker to an electroplater and ask them to plate it with Black Chrome. That would look cool as!

I had the same idea. :ride:

I think the Suzuki rear rack would look good with Black Chrome too.

I thought I saw someone here with a carbon fiber heat shield but i can't remember who it was.

I bought a carbon one from the TT store. it's an e-line marketed by white bros

kawiDirt.jpg

I had the same idea. :ride:

I think the Suzuki rear rack would look good with Black Chrome too.

I thought I saw someone here with a carbon fiber heat shield but i can't remember who it was.

Actually, carbon fibre is as easy as fibreglassing!

You could make a fibreglass mould from the original and make a whole range of CF bits and ....

You would probably end up with a butt ugly bike IMHO. :thumbsup:

It's so funny that you said that. I was thinking the same thing!

There are other alternatives than to go to the chromer. Although they are the best. You can fab one up out of some diamond plate, or whatever, and spray it with stained glass spray. It's what people use to make stained glass. cheaply. Not quite the same effect but better than some "bling" hangin' on the side of your bike.

You can also use tinted clear coat. this might scratch up for off road use, but for you SM'ers it will be fine.

Mine would probable fall in the bling catagory. I have the stock guard installed on my yoshi but not until the guy at local shop polished it. It might be alittle cheesie but it was free.engine

How can you polish stuff to make it that shiny?

Also, what kinda matirial can you polish?

Thanks.

I made a mold of the stock piece and made one of Carbon Fiber. It wasn't that hard and it looks pretty great. I pulled the heat shield tape from the inside of the stock one on glued it into the CF piece with no problems.

I would post a pic, but the site is not responding.

Also Blue Chrome would look great if your bike is blue, yellow Chrome if your bike is like mine :ride:

I just like the colored Chrome cause I'm not a CF fan, seen it fail too many times.

How can you polish stuff to make it that shiny?

Also, what kinda matirial can you polish?

Thanks.

I didn't do it myself, but he got the colored coating off somehow then used metal buffing wheel and metal polish. It has held up pretty well, I didn't know if it would discolor or get cloudy but so far so good.

Mine would probable fall in the bling catagory. I have the stock guard installed on my yoshi but not until the guy at local shop polished it. It might be alittle cheesie but it was free.engine

I notice you have a kick starter.

Have you ever actually needed it?

I've come to accept that my riding pants are destined to be melted all over my pipe and the inside of my right leg wet all winter. :thumbsup:

I notice you have a kick starter.

Have you ever actually needed it?

No I have never actually used it. I tryed once and couldn't get it started, warmed up bike with the magic button then shut it off, still could start it. :thumbsup::ride::applause: That probable has alittle to do with the lack of skill on my part. I didn't install it, it was on the bike when I bought it used.

oodrz - that looks way cool and shouldn't be too hard to do at home.