Twisted forks?

Quick question:

I let a buddy ride the Sm yesterday, he packed it in pretty hard on a dirt road, bent the snot out of the bars and the bar risers.

I rode it home with the bars pretty crooked, but I kept getting the feeling that the tire was not pointing hte same way as the triple clamps.

It seems to look OK @ a stop, but one the road starts going by, it looks off.

Any hints?

I'm taking pics tonight so that he can replace all the rashed parts, just hope he doesn't have to buy me a new front end.

:thumbsup:

This is totally normal for a dirt bike following a minor dump. Heres the fix:

Put the bike on a stand with the front wheel off.

Loosen the tripple clamp bolts and the axle pinch bolts.

Give the whole front a good shake then let it return to it's natural position.

Tighten everything back up and your done!

Unless it was a particularly brutal get-off the forks are probably just twisted in the clamps and nothing more. Happens a few times a day when I'm out riding :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Grant

• Like 1

triple could be bent as well, they're pretty weak.

sweet.

I was pretty confident that the DRZ could easily handle this spill, just got worried when the wheel fender still looked kinked.

As far as the triple clamp bending, this should be pretty noticeable right? Should lay flat on a flat surface, right?

edit: one more thing.. I cant get to shop.thumpertalk.com is it just me?

Put it on a stand, loosen the clamp bolts to relieve the torque, this is usually all it takes.

Get rid of the stock crap bars....It is unusual to bend the clamps, but it depends on how the bike fell?

okeedokee.

I've not started pulling it apart yet, but here are some initial shots of the light damage.

Pic of rt side

Pic of Front

Here's the twist:

Pic of handlebars

These next two show how the left mount is mostly straight (sort of tweaked forward) and how the right bar mount is pulled waaay back. (I hope the triple is ok)

Pic of left mount

Pic of rt mount

This one also shows it

Pic of bars

There should be a bunch more in that directory with the rashed plaastics.. not a whole lot to see, but there's also still blood on the seat, bars and plastics.. eek.

Highsided my DRZ a couple of weeks ago and same thing happened to me although the bars are fine!! I just stand in front of the bike with the front wheel held firmly between my legs (get someone to hold the bike) and pull and push hard on the bars, this has worked everytime for me (I fall off a lot). :thumbsup:

Highsided my DRZ a couple of weeks ago and same thing happened to me although the bars are fine!! I just stand in front of the bike with the front wheel held firmly between my legs (get someone to hold the bike) and pull and push hard on the bars, this has worked everytime for me (I fall off a lot). :thumbsup:

This method works, but is a little barbaric. It is better to loosen the triple clamp and axle pinch bolts first. Realign the triple clamps by sighting across the fork tubes from a side view and untwist until the fork tubes are perfectly parallel with each other.

This method works, but is a little barbaric. It is better to loosen the triple clamp and axle pinch bolts first. Realign the triple clamps by sighting across the fork tubes from a side view and untwist until the fork tubes are perfectly parallel with each other.

I have to realign my forks too. Too much dirt eating. :thumbsup:

My question is; How do I 'really' know if they are straight? Straighten the bars, and look over them and down the forks to the wheel? That would be my guess. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure (at all) about this but it looks like the bar is just twisted in the clamps like the fork leg hopefully is in the triple clamps. I would try what people have said to due with the forks to the bar clamps as well, loosen the bolts, line it up, tighten the bolts, and check. I can not tell from the pictures if the bar is bent as well but I think that should at least line up the clamps right. Hope your budy is okay.

I done the same thing on my drz. I fell off it on the road and bent the bars and the wheel shifted to the the right of the mudguard. I undone the clamps and let the forks reset to the standard position It seemed to work ok but in my opinion when i got someone to hold the front wheel straight and i looked down the bike the front wheel was never lining up with the back wheel. The bike never felt the same to me again so I sold it on ebay and paid an extra £300 and got a lower milage better condition one with an akrapovic pipe...SELL IT

I done the same thing on my drz. I fell off it on the road and bent the bars and the wheel shifted to the the right of the mudguard. I undone the clamps and let the forks reset to the standard position It seemed to work ok but in my opinion when i got someone to hold the front wheel straight and i looked down the bike the front wheel was never lining up with the back wheel. The bike never felt the same to me again so I sold it on ebay and paid an extra £300 and got a lower milage better condition one with an akrapovic pipe...SELL IT

Uh Um arent the front and rear wheels off alignment from eachother out of the factory? I seem to remember reading that somewhere. Congrats on the deal