Sign in to follow this  

D.O.A. 02DRZ-s

Hi all, hope this looks familiar to someone;put the bike away properly for the winter, drained tank &float bowl, batt. tender etc. Upon trying to start it fires imediatly but when I let go the button it quites. Petcock functions correctly, nice hot spark,in neutral,,,I'm stumpted! Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks,Mike C.

My 2003 did the exact same thing. It was the battery. Started right up then wouldn't stay lit. Connected an extra battery I had laying around started and stayed running. Purchased a new battery and no problems since. Now, I have a battery tender connected whenever I'm not riding. Good Luck!

mootsuno

Hi , thanks for the come-back. Put in a brand new batt. aweek old, fully charged. Been a fan of Battery-Tender for years street&dirt bikes,that's not it, I thought perhaps one of those safety switches,kick-stand etc. but like I said it starts right now and runs tillI let go the start button then just quites.Mike C.

You could have water in the fuel, caused by condensation.

Draining the tank is actually not as good an idea as storing the bike with a full tank, and adding fuel stabilizer.

Just another thought on what might be wrong, anyhow.

When I've gotten water in the floatbowl, from deep water crossings, the bike is very hard to keep running with a mix of fuel and water in there.

Hi , thanks for the come-back. Put in a brand new batt. aweek old, fully charged. Been a fan of Battery-Tender for years street&dirt bikes,that's not it, I thought perhaps one of those safety switches,kick-stand etc. but like I said it starts right now and runs tillI let go the start button then just quites.Mike C.

Is the starter disengaging? Check to see if it is hung up. Also, if it dies as soon as you get off the start button, you may want to look at that connection as well.

I would also try the fresh fuel as suggested....

Hi kman, thanks for the comeback. No ,it has the same symtoms regardless of petcock position. As stated I checked vaccum valve actuation with a mighty-vac, just the slightest pressure,"vac" had the gas flowing freely. I'm curious about the "safety switches, such as the kickstand switch. Can I just pull plugs @plugs or do I need to jumper-wire to close a loop,just a thought. Otherwise it runs on for asplit second then dies just like it ran out of gas. It's got a full float bowl and strong spark. Mike C.

To all thanks for the continued help. The gas was awek od like the new batt. .Fresh from the station. Starter is disengaging,the moment I let go the button. I've got aheated garage because of the machine tools",Been a hobby mec. for 43 yrs" so I don"t believe condensate is the issue.

It doesn't sound like the safety switches because the bike would be dead. Both safety switches are supposed to keep the starter from engaging.

I would look at the start button. Maybe when you release it it grounds out to the kill or something like that. :thumbsup:

i agree with geoff. you probably have a blockage in the carb.. remove & clean.

i guess it could be one of the safety switches. you really don't want them anyway.

the clutch one gets unplugged at the lever, then plugs ito itself behind the headlight.

a search will get the info you need for the sidestand switch. i kinda forget. i believe i cut the wires on the sidestand side, spliced the cut wires together, then plugged it back in. but it's been a while, so do a search.