Sign in to follow this  

Stonyford directions

The family and I will be camping at East Park resevoir this weekend. How do I get to Stonyford from there. I know there are many trailheads there, we are looking for ones that are close to East Park and with modereate to above in difficulty. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Steve

go to town and turn left at the store/bar.

turn right on "Goat Mountain Rd."

drive down gravel road a bit and you are at "Little Stony."

(used to be called "Digger Pines)

you can also go to the "information station."

to get there drive to town from the lake again. this time go straight through the stop sign past the store/bar.

at the edge of town, just past the town hall, there is a slight left. there is a "Fire Danger Thermometer" there. make that left.

you know you are on track becuase there is a ranger station on your right imeadiatley after turning onto the road.

follow the road for a while until you come up to a parking lot with an out house and information sign.

go to town and turn left at the store/bar.

turn right on "Goat Mountain Rd."

drive down gravel road a bit and you are at "Little Stony."

(used to be called "Digger Pines)

you can also go to the "information station."

to get there drive to town from the lake again. this time go straight through the stop sign past the store/bar.

at the edge of town, just past the town hall, there is a slight left. there is a "Fire Danger Thermometer" there. make that left.

you know you are on track becuase there is a ranger station on your right imeadiatley after turning onto the road.

follow the road for a while until you come up to a parking lot with an out house and information sign.

The second place is called Grizzley Flat or Grizzly Creek

The second place is called Grizzley Flat or Grizzly Creek

I thought the second place was Wolf Creek Staging area ??

You want to go right down the road about maybe 5-6 miles I think to a sign on the right hand side says goat mountain gravel road.This is little stony The hill climbs up are pretty fun but long as Hell there is definitely some AWESOME intermediate riding once you get up the hills to get to the trails.

Personally I wouldn't go the little stony way. You got to do some riding to get to the trails and it can be hairy for a kid to ride. My son is a pretty good rider and I wouldn't take him that way. Also, you'll be a fur piece from your rig and refreshments you'll want to bring. I'd go to davis flat area in the valley. its a little further drive in but you'll have your rig right where you'll be riding and you can enjoy the whole day and get back to your car anytime more easily.

Just head out of the campground and follow the signs to stonyford. Its 16 miles based on my GPS software. Just follow Lagoda Stonyford Rd and the signs to Stonyford (can't miss them). When you get to Stonyford stop sign(the store) you'll go left. Just a half mile or so the road splts, at the Ranger station. Stop there and get a Map of the OHV (the're free) area. Follow this road (Fouts spring) all the way back to Davis Flat/Fouts Spring area.

You'll dig it! I was just there last Saturday. ENJOY!

:thumbsup: Stonyford Rocks. You can spend the weekend there and still not hit all the trails.

And you better get far from your rig regardless where you park, or you're not exploring enough. :ride:

The closer to the truck action sounds good. No worries about the kid, he is fearless. This weekend a couple of pretty good riders on a 450 Yami and a 2 stroke 250 Kawi saw nothing but his dust, then a few minutes later come myself and brother inlaw. Nobody can believe this kid has only been riding since January. It will be scary when he gets a 250. Oh to think of the Kaiser co-pays I will have then. Thanks for the info.

:thumbsup: Stonyford Rocks. You can spend the weekend there and still not hit all the trails.

And you better get far from your rig regardless where you park, or you're not exploring enough. :ride:

Oh we will explore for sure. With the wife being a lil bit of a pregnant nag I hope we can stay out for quite a while without doing to much damage leaving her in camp.

what kind of riding do you guys prefer?

tight or mild single track?

hill climbs?

wider rolling trails?

stonyford has it all.

i could list some trail #'s for you to try if i know what you like.

the first hill up is right across from the camp Can't remember the name or trail # we took the WR up it so we could see how long it was.It registered 1.6 miles up and I mean up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Grindstone Trails is what you want.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/mendocino/recreation/ohv/maps/grindstone.pdf

Wolf Creek is right.

The tight singletrack is up Potatoe Hill or Letts Ridge. The number 33,35,36,43,etc.. are the best singletrack (true singletrack) on the mountain. There is harder trail (steep) at the lower elevations out of Little Stony and Wolf Creek (26, 27, 28), but at minumium double wide, some wide enough for a jeep.

As far as time goes Little Stony will be the closest and you can go up 23 from there (not as steep as 26) then ride 21, 22, and come back 2 or 1 and that would put you at 20-30 miles or viuce versa. You can leave out of little stony and hit 26 to 27 to 28 and back to 25, but that is the steepest stuff on the mountain.

The singletrack up Letts Ridge is worth the extra drive, but if time is of concern Little Stony or Wolf Creek could get you in some good riding.

The lower trails have no cover where the upper trails are all inthe trees. You cant go wrong at Stony.

Be careful because the black diamonds are such and some of the blue squares would be black diamonds at any other park.

Have fun.

Davis Flat is in the Grindstone/Stonyford Map. North is Lake Pillsbury, and South is Upper Lake Area(Middle Creek, Penny Pines, etc.) There is a trail map available, perhaps at the info place in Stonyford. Forest Service Rangers in the area are glad to give maps too. I got mine at the BLM office in Ukiah. Try your local BLM office or Forest Service office.