Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Plates & oil change question

When do you change clutch plates ? If I decide to do it myself, will I need any special tools apart from the usual socket/wrench set ?

I am due for an oil change in the next 500 miles & I was wondering what kinf of oil should I use, yes yes I know its 10W-40 as per the service manual but would using synthetic hurt ? Have any of you used synthetic, any benefit for the extra cost ?

Also where I can I order all of the above together if I need to ? That is clutch plates, oil filter & oil.

YES! YES! Very good Question....

And does someone make a really strong clutch for 3rd gear wheelies?

you shouldn't need any special tools - new fibers (steels if you so desire), new springs (if they are worn), a new gasket, oil and a torque wrench if you feel the need. you can get everything at your local dealer or at one of those fancy web retailers.

you shouldn't need any special tools - new fibers (steels if you so desire), new springs (if they are worn), a new gasket, oil and a torque wrench if you feel the need. you can get everything at your local dealer or at one of those fancy web retailers.

Thanks for the response.

Are steel plates better than fibers ? Becuase I do a lot of stop n go traffic where the bike move from 1st to 2nd for 15-20 minutes each day.

Thanks for the response.

Are steel plates better than fibers ? Becuase I do a lot of stop n go traffic where the bike move from 1st to 2nd for 15-20 minutes each day.

there are steel plates and fiber plates in your clutch - the steels are connected to the inner clutch hub, the fibers to the clutch basket - the fibers usually wear out first - but excessive heat and other factors can warp or glaze the steel plates (they are stacked alternating - one fiber, one steel, one fiber, one steel, etc). if you are having slipping issues (slipping meaning you give the bike gas, it revs but won't deliver power), then you should check your clutch - pull the cover, the springs, and plates and measure them with a caliper - get a manual if you are unfamiliar - its well worth the cost.

When do you change clutch plates ? If I decide to do it myself, will I need any special tools apart from the usual socket/wrench set ?

I am due for an oil change in the next 500 miles & I was wondering what kinf of oil should I use, yes yes I know its 10W-40 as per the service manual but would using synthetic hurt ? Have any of you used synthetic, any benefit for the extra cost ?

Also where I can I order all of the above together if I need to ? That is clutch plates, oil filter & oil.

Synthetic oil is fine, as is car oil, as long as it is not marked 'energy conserving' otherwise the friction modifiers will mess up you're clutch plates. I'm using Rotella T full synthetic from wallyworld with great results.

Ed Teller