Sign in to follow this  

Aerobic Fitness - Does this Work?

I've been reading the threads on Aerobic fitness. These are normally about biking, running, eliptical trainers etc.

Ouestion:

I've been strapping on my heart rate monitor while doing soccer drills. I can keep my heart rate between the recommended minimum and maximum for aerobic training for my age, for the length of the training session - typically 30 mins to an hour. I'll do a drill, which often takes my heart up to 85% or at brief times a little more than 85% of max heart rate. Then I will jog or walk until the heartrate goes back to around 70% of maximum. For the 30 - 60 minutes it never dips below 70%. I'm doing a combination of walking, jogging, running and sprinting. For me the times goes by a lot faster than while just jogging or biking. And it's a lot more fun. It also uses more balance and agility, which I have to believe helps with dirtbiking. Is 30 - 60 minutes of this kind of training just as beneficial as jogging or biking for the same length?

I am not a trainer or anything, but as long as you are always being active during the 30-60 minutes and keeping the heart rate up, you are doing things that should be very similar to what you are talking about with the walking/running/elliptical. I would consider it the same as long as it was just as intense as you would with the others.