Sign in to follow this  

02 400EXC as compared to a 06 525EXC ?

I have a chance to buy a 02 400EXC that I found advertised from someone that lives a ways away. I have ridden a friend on mines 06 525EXC and loved everything about it. My question is other then less power/torque how will a 02 400 compare to a 06 525. I really like the way the 525 felt like it was connected to the ground (compare to my WR400). Will the 02 400 feel very similar or has there been a lot of changes to the EXC since 02?

Next question, is there any short comings or must do concerning the 02 400 that I need to be aware of. I like to ride the tight single track trails of northern MIchigan which I have read is what the 400 is best at.

I have always loved Yamaha's but that one ride on my friend's 525 has me sold. Should have never rode it because now I am wanting to go out and spend more money. Any input and/or advice would be appreciated.

I prefer the 400 over the 525 for tight stuff as the bigger motor requires more rider effort/input to make quick moves. As for handling, lots of improvments have been made a little each year, I assume the improvments are primarily inside the forks? What ever the newer chassis definatly feels more planted.

As for snivels in early years, there is a bolt in the cam drive that fell out in 00-01, in 02 they made a very slight improvment (lock nut) and in 03 they eleiminated the bolt thru re-design, there are a couple other very minor updates in that same area that I would make before putting an 02 into service. If you want to go with a 400 and can afford it, try to go a bit newer!