Sign in to follow this  

Oil Changes?

How often is everyone changing thier oil? I have been a little Anal about it I think. I have never gone over 100 miles without changing Motor and trans with a filter. I have been using Amsoil since new. I have been running a quart in the trans and about an extra 100 cc's in the motor end with no issues to date. Total milage is about 1500 miles and all looks good. Valves were checked at about 1000 miles and exhaust was a little tight and all else was right in spec. I was thinking of switching to the reusable oil filter next change. I know the mix on this site is about 50/50 yes or no on that. Has anyone had any problems with running one? So far this bike has caused me no trouble other than draining my money on oil and filters. new tires front and rear. JD jet kit installed with airbox mods and stock pipe. 170 main jet. Also battery is dying so that is the next must buy.

Paul

I change mine after every 2 rides.

oil every 2 rides and filter every 4 for me. Saves me money and even that is anal.

oil every 2 rides and filter every 4 for me. Saves me money and even that is anal.

I'm with Tattoo.....plus I clean my air filter after every ride. I was doing the oil filter after every other, but it just got too expensive. I think it was overkill really. I think heat is as big an enemy as dirt.

How often is everyone changing thier oil? I have been a little Anal about it I think. I have never gone over 100 miles without changing Motor and trans with a filter. I have been using Amsoil since new. I have been running a quart in the trans and about an extra 100 cc's in the motor end with no issues to date. Total milage is about 1500 miles and all looks good. Valves were checked at about 1000 miles and exhaust was a little tight and all else was right in spec. I was thinking of switching to the reusable oil filter next change. I know the mix on this site is about 50/50 yes or no on that. Has anyone had any problems with running one? So far this bike has caused me no trouble other than draining my money on oil and filters. new tires front and rear. JD jet kit installed with airbox mods and stock pipe. 170 main jet. Also battery is dying so that is the next must buy.

Paul

A couple of ways to save some money without compromising engine protection is: Go to Walmart and get a gallon of Shell Rotella T 15w-40 for about $7.99. Use this in your engine and trans. At that price you can change it as often as you like. Then go to ebay and search hi-flow filters. You can get 3 for the price of one Honda filter. I typically change my engine oil about every 100 miles and the filter every 300. I change the trans oil every 200 miles.

Happy oiling.

When I get around to it. Every couple of months or so. BTW, mine is street legalled and I have going on 6,000 miles. I run the Maxima Ester based synthetic, seems to work well. I loose maybe a table spoon of oil every month.

i used to change both oils and the oil filter every 2 rides.. but then i realized that some times i would ride for an hour sometimes 3.. so i started doing changes every 4 or 5 hours

This is the one place not to go cheap. Although I use Rotella T myself both synthetic and regular, (for my duramax) I recommend not using car or diesel oil in your bike. Its not just a money issue, they are not formulated to deal with bikes and the tremendous torture they can put on the oils. The X only has around 3/4 qt for each side, it is hard on its oil but changing every 3 or 4 rides is PLENTY, but use motorcycle oil, full synthetic, ester is best, top of the food chain, Maxima is what I use. Car oils are "energy conserving' meaning they have friction modifiers (like moly) that clutches don't like, and are low on additives like phosphorus, zinc, that may help save critical engine parts during hard use, this is because catalytic converters are ruined by these additives. Diesel oils, (CI-4, etc) are good high detergent oils but usually not synthetic and/or not high quality synthetic, and are higher in additives but not as much as MC oils.

Amsoil is also good stuff, so is Mobil MTX4, V-twin formula also and can be bought at Kragen. Recon Ranger is a chemist and convinced me long ago about this. Also SS filters are NOT OK, do not filter as well as quality paper filters and are hard to clean and do not collect contaminants as small as paper filters no matter what they say, they are liars. Shop around, find the best deal and buy in bulk. JMO.