Sign in to follow this  

Anniversary Present - Will she like it?

My wife and I raced mountain bikes through the '90's, but don't have the time to train regularly any more. I've been looking for a starter dirt bike for her. The prices on peoples 80's and 90's garage corner dust collectors was making me sick, so I scored a 2001 WR250F in excellent condition at less than trade in value on eBay. She's 5'11" and the YZ seat and tank have been installed, so I have no worry about the seat height, but do you think this will be too much engine for her to start on? If your hubby bought you one, what would you think?

At 5'11" with mtb experience she should be fine. I started on a KLX300 and went to my 94CR500 after a year.

Just let her try it out on some easy stuff to get the feel for it. In my experience, the hardest part of learning to ride is learning to RIDE and to let the bike do it's thing.

Ha, your post reminded me of one of the many stickers on my bike:

"I got a bike for my husband, it was a good trade"

She should have no problem with throttle control. If she raced mountain bikes, she already has the stance and positioning down. Braking and clutch control will fall right in line. If she's never ridden a motorcycle, have her take a class if she likes. Have fun with your new hobby.

I think she'll be just fine.

She's not tiny and it sounds like she's pretty fit as well. She might have some issues picking it up initially, but you'll be around to help, right??

I've been on my husbands WR250F and I didn't think the engine was too powerful. I just thought the bike was too big and heavy for ME. But then I'm 8 inches shorter than your girl!!

I would like it.

I agree, she should be fine.

I am slower than molasses and ride a 450. My first bike was a Husky 250WR.

Have fun!!!

She will have a blast!!!!

Mine was an ex Pro Jet Ski racer. Never rode dirt.

Started her out on a TTR 125L and after about 6 months she was going so fast in the woods that the flexy front end actually became dangerous.

So, we get her a KTM 250exc RFS and put a 300 kit in it.

She LOVES her bike and the 300 kit added the extra torque (not about HP) she needed to help with difficult situations. As did the Rekluse clutch!!!!!

My wife and I raced mountain bikes through the '90's, but don't have the time to train regularly any more. I've been looking for a starter dirt bike for her. The prices on peoples 80's and 90's garage corner dust collectors was making me sick, so I scored a 2001 WR250F in excellent condition at less than trade in value on eBay. She's 5'11" and the YZ seat and tank have been installed, so I have no worry about the seat height, but do you think this will be too much engine for her to start on? If your hubby bought you one, what would you think?

Good choice.

I've ridden one a couple times and it's an ok bike, for sure. The suspension is going to be way too stiff for her if nothing has been done to it. Stock, it felt like a bucking bronco. That is really the only thing I didn't like about the bike.

I doubt it's too much engine at all.....maybe a tad heavy compared to a mountain bike.

We want pictures and a full report of her reaction and her first ride. :thumbsup:

peace,

janette

When do you plan on getting it? And, are you going to let us know what she thinks of it?

Don't forget the first ride report.

Well, I picked it up last Saturday, and it was parked in her spot in the garage when she got home that evening. "What the hell is that in the garage?" was the first comment. After finding out the deal I got on the bike, and offering to re-sell if she was willing to give it a real try and still didn't like it. she mellowed out a bit. I fired it up and took a few laps around the yard. It was loud. Way too loud. She was a bit intimidated by it, but by this weekend, was ready to ride. That's when I ran into more trouble.

I checked the sound coming out of the White Brothers R4 and it hit 120db(that might have had something to do with the intimidation.) I swapped in the stock pipe, and it still measured at 112db. A quick trip to the Yamaha dealer has a GYT-R baffle coming (96db with no loss of power,) but it won't be here until next week. Storms will be here for the next 3 days, so hopefully we'll be able to get out next weekend.

More to follow...

The killer combo would probably have been the bike with a piece of jewelry hanging off of the handle bar it to statisfy the girly and sporty side that your wife probably has.

But I still say a good choice (kind of biased :thumbsup:)

Does is have an auto-decomp cam in it? If not that might be high on her wish list :thumbsup: The 01 WR's were kickstart only... right?

Does is have an auto-decomp cam in it? If not that might be high on her wish list :thumbsup: The 01 WR's were kickstart only... right?

I might add the auto-decomp cam at some point in the future, but it fires right up on the first or second kick if you follow the drill. I haven't kicked over a bike in 20 years, but didn't have a problem getting it going.

I put the GYT-R baffle in Deb's bike and it quieted things down substantially. Rather than take a 2 hour drive to some of the better riding areas around, I opted for the 40 min drive into Wisconsin to ride on the Cattail Trail, an old railroad bed that runs from Amery to Turtle Lake. I figured long, straight, and flat would probably be a better option for a first time rider.

After a few tries of starting out in first gear in the parking lot and killing the motor, I had her wheel the bike onto the trail so when she actually did get it going, we'd be on the move.

After 2 or 3 tries, she finally got it and we were off. When a 'stop ahead' sign appeared, I'd run ahead and check the road we were crossing. We never had a conflict, so she could motor through without having to deal with the clutch again. This was a good thing at the road crossings, since the surface at the pavement was usually really sandy, and there were holes at the edge.

She had plenty of opportunity to work on starting out, as we stopped at a few of the more scenic spots to enjoy the sunshine.

There was a sweet spot in the middle of the day where she started out about 5 times straight without stalling. As she got tired later, clutching and shifting started to get sloppy.

We did 36 miles. It was a bit sandy, but she fully understood the concept of letting the bike do it's thing and hanging on. She did get a good clutch pop coming off one of the roads and threw a good roost while getting somewhat sideways.

She enjoyed the ride and is looking forward to going again. She's already asking for harder terrain. I think I've got her hooked.

The bike worked great. I was concerned we might be stopping a lot or riding very slowly, so I put the coolant resevoir back on, but it never burped a drop.

Once warmed up, it would start on the very first kick for me, every time. Deb never quite got the hang of starting it. I think she needs to commit 100% to the kick, as her speed was a bit slow, even with motocross boots on. She's promised to work on starting it in the driveway before we go again. I also made sure to point out the electric start on my KLR, in hopes that some day she'll ask for a new bike and I can inherit hers. The WR is simply amazing in the power department. It's kind of fun to ride a 250 with as much HP as my 650.

As an extra bonus, she also mentioned how fun it would be to ride on the street where the bike is not so squirrely, hopped on the KLR and said it didn't feel to heavy to hold up, asked about making the WR street legal, and wanted to know what she needed to do to get her permit. Hopefully I can find an MSF class this late in the season and get her going.

Thanks again for all your inputs. The plan to get my wife interested in riding her own bike instead of on the back of mine was successful.

debrides.jpg

So, after the one ride, my wife has shoulder surgery and is done riding for the rest of the season. She apparently got kicked by a horse as a teenager, and broke a collar bone without knowing it. The AC joint had impingement, and ground her cartilage into a froth until it was rubbing bone on bone. She's all fixed now. The surgery was late september, and she's already weight training again.

She tells me the WR seems a little tall and a little too powerful for a first bike. We go down to the dealer and she checks out a TW200(too small) TT-R250(too big) and a used TT-R 225 (just right.)

It looks like Santa will be bringing an '06 TT-R 230. I can't bring myself to sell the WR250F. I took it out for a day and had a blast. I love the way the Ti valves 'sing' at certain RPMs. I'm sure the TT-R won't keep her happy forever, but it does have the magic button, a newbie friendly height, and if she wants to get her license, I can plate it with a handful of XT parts. Besides, I get to ride the WR in the mean time. When she's done with the TT-R, she can move up to the WR, or we can get her something new.

I'll let you know how it goes when riding season starts up again.

So, after the one ride, my wife has shoulder surgery and is done riding for the rest of the season. She apparently got kicked by a horse as a teenager, and broke a collar bone without knowing it. The AC joint had impingement, and ground her cartilage into a froth until it was rubbing bone on bone. She's all fixed now. The surgery was late september, and she's already weight training again.

She tells me the WR seems a little tall and a little too powerful for a first bike. We go down to the dealer and she checks out a TW200(too small) TT-R250(too big) and a used TT-R 225 (just right.)

It looks like Santa will be bringing an '06 TT-R 230. I can't bring myself to sell the WR250F. I took it out for a day and had a blast. I love the way the Ti valves 'sing' at certain RPMs. I'm sure the TT-R won't keep her happy forever, but it does have the magic button, a newbie friendly height, and if she wants to get her license, I can plate it with a handful of XT parts. Besides, I get to ride the WR in the mean time. When she's done with the TT-R, she can move up to the WR, or we can get her something new.

I'll let you know how it goes when riding season starts up again.

Great Idea... don't get rid of the WR. The TTR is an excellent bike, and I must say, it was the perfect bike for me to learn on. Not to big not too small. It'll help build her up to the WR. I tried several big bikes when I was a newbie and they scared me... now after becoming a confident rider... thanks to my TTR 230... I can jump on anything and love the power of my

KTM 200. Some riders that have a strong mountain biking background like to go with the Rekluse (automatic) clutch and a left hand rear brake... might be a less expensive Christmas gift and might make the bike (WR250) easier for her to ride... it'll make it feel more natural for her (more like mountain biking). Then you'll have enough money to buy her some schnazzy new riding gear... Happy riding!

...Some riders that have a strong mountain biking background like to go with the Rekluse (automatic) clutch and a left hand rear brake... might be a less expensive Christmas gift and might make the bike (WR250) easier for her to ride...

But then I wouldn't have a new WR...

The killer combo would probably have been the bike with a piece of jewelry hanging off of the handle bar it to statisfy the girly and sporty side that your wife probably has.

This might be a nice touch ^