Sign in to follow this  

'04 400 EXC reliability

A dealer near me has had an '04 400EXC since the end of June. From the pictures, the bike looks really good. I'm going this Saturday to take a look at it, and if it looks clean and runs good I might go ahead and pick it up. My plan is to plate it in Texas, so another determining factor in the purchase will be the certificate of origin/title (the bike is not in Texas now). Anyway, how reliable are these machines? It looks like the valves have to be adjusted pretty often, but that's no big deal to me.

I will be riding trails, with the occasional road to connect the trails once I get it plated. No MX or anything. Can I expect several seasons between top end rebuilds, or should I plan on it every couple of years? How about parts availability for KTM's?

also, how far between oil and air filter changes? every one or two rides?

Hopefully I'll be pulling the trigger on this bike Saturday, if things work out good.

thanks,

Wes

Parts availability for KTM's really never has been a problem. If you are gona ride the bike like you say, and if you change the oil regularlly, you'll have no issues.

While the EXC's require a little more maintenance than a Honda XR (I've had both), the KTM is easy to maintain, just as reliable if cared for, and a heck of a lot more fun to ride. Plus a lot of great support websites and parts houses.

The 400 is a great engine, 04 was a good year. Only one tiny snivel, there are two bolts that commonly break on the cam cover, cost less then a buck to fix it. Go to KTM talk.com and at the top of the page is a pinned section on those bolts, change em now before they ruin a day