Sign in to follow this  

250XCF/XCF-W vs 200XC/XC-W

I know this question may be premature because there are only a few 07 250xcf out. Anyway, I'm fairly set on buying a 07 250XCF-W but I thought I would ask opinions regarding the difference between the 250XCF and the 200XC in terms of handling, power and anticipated reliability. I weigh 150 riding a 02 XR250 like to ride a lot of single tracks, steep hills and no plans on racing. I live in the north state (Redding, CA) and can ride a red sticker bike year round (at least for now). I plated my XR back when it was still legal and I have no plans to sell it.

That 4-stroke power in the 250F is going to hard to beat, bike feels really light, only thing holding back I think would price/ava...

I see a XC-W in my future...

They have recently created another fourm for the SXF. Im not sure where they want questions for the XC/XC-W version though? I would think it would go in the "new" section?

I see a XC-W in my future...

They have recently created another fourm for the SXF. Im not sure where they want questions for the XC/XC-W version though? I would think it would go in the "new" section?

New section is for MX "SX" new style engine design vehicles.

New section is for MX "SX" new style engine design vehicles.

SXF/XCF/XCF-W...same design.

SXF/XCF/XCF-W...same design.

Separating new style engines, if KTM continues to grow they will make a separate forum for the new style XCs (250Fs), the newer bigger bikes will be based of this platform in the years to come...

If registration is not an issue, go with the 200XC. You'll be as fast in the woods and spend a lot less time on maintenance. Just my two cents.

If registration is not an issue, go with the 200XC. You'll be as fast in the woods and spend a lot less time on maintenance. Just my two cents.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I've ridden both and the xcf-w was faster in the woods, at least for me. The power was more manageable and the suspension felt much better setup for woods riding. The W was just more planted and tracked better. I know it has plusher suspension and the springs are right on for my weight so I'm sure that made the difference for me. I'm also used to 4-stroke power so I'm biased I guess. And I love the e-start and would hate to give it up. Weight between the two was a non issue as both felt very light.

Maintanance shouldn't differ very much between the two either. Changing oil might take an extra couple minutes cleaning the 2 screens and changing the oil filter on the 250f. The 250 sxf motor has proven extremely reliable and I've yet to here of any loosing valves like some other colors. Either way, they are both incredible bikes. If I wanted a 2-stroke, I'd get the 200 xcw for the woods. It really comes down to if you want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke because both bikes are great.

My 200 --- a couple of thousand miles later and a top end here and there is still running strong. I know, I know, I've heard all the maintenance comparisons. And mostly agree with the day to day maintenance being about equal. But, how many 4 strokes other than XRs do you see after 3-4 years of hard riding. Compare that to how many 2 strokes you see after 3-4 years. Seems like a non-contest. Everytime I ride I see older 2 strokes still running strong. Very few older 4 strokes seem to make it. Of course if you plan to replace the bike every 1-2 years, no big deal.

I think the 4 strokes will run a long time. I bought a yz250f in 01" when they first came out and its now on its third owner. That bike had been ridden several hundred hours and it bullet proof. Just change oil regularly, make sure valves are in spec, change out timing chain once a year and don't ride on the rev limiter.

The problem as I see it, is that all the kids now want these bikes and they don't do the maintenance, they ride on the rev limiter and they thrash the bikes and then cry when they blow up.....

Im coming off the 200 exc and need a little more power. I liked the 06 sxf in the woods but needed one more gear for those long grass track sections

and grand prixs. Is the xcfw what I'm looking for ? I dont want a slacker so give me some agressive info..

" I'm coming off the 200 exc and need a little more power." 250/300 XC-W is all you need. End of discussion.