Sign in to follow this  

Not thumpers...but I'm still stoked!

Ok, so we were taking one of our emergency vehicles around for a test drive after getting it back from service, and I noticed a trailer full of bikes for sale in a parking lot. We pull around to get a closer look and holy crap one of them is my dad's old 71 RT1! It's the last bike he ever owned and it's still wearing the paintjob I put on it, but it's sure seen better days (the tail-light is gone, the tach glass is busted, the seat is all torn up, and the tires are toast). The other bikes on the trailer were an XR-80 (really beat to hell), an ATC 110 (ok, it's a 3-wheeler not a bike and it's in SAD shape), and a 71 DT1F (missing the rear fender and has a few blemishes, but overall in decent shape). He wanted $800 for the whole lot of them, but I don't want the XR or the ATC. I really only wanted the RT1, but since the DT1F is in decent shape I figure what the heck. So for $400 he's bringing me the RT1 and the DT1F tonight or tomorrow. Man I can't wait to get the RT1 back into shape. I'm thinking the wifey might be able to beat around on the DT1F, and hoping she'll like it so much that she'll want more bikes. :ride:

I'm anxious with anticipation! :thumbsup:

Now I just have to dig around and find the number of an old buddy of mine...he has a cycle salvage yard in TX.

I just remembered that I meant to ask...does anyone know what all is interchangeable on the DT1 and the RT1 or where to find that out?

As far as I can recall, they're the same except for bore and stroke. My older brothers had RT1 MXes when I was a kid. Hated to start them (kick back like a mutha!) but so much fun to ride! Massive torque!

Thanks for the reply...that's what I thought about interchangeability. I never had kickback problems with the RT1 before (or my old DT1) but then they both had compression releases.