Sign in to follow this  

exhaust wrap?

has anyone wrapped their after market exhaust/header? i was thinking of doing it mostly to protect the header from rock dings and it's also supposed to make the exhaust more efficient(minutely i'm sure). then i read one guys claim that it ruins the pipe by making it too hot. does anyone use this stuff and what is your experience? :ride::thumbsup::applause:

If the headpipe is stainless go for it. I put it on my DMC and it worked great. Just take your time and follow the instructions on install. If the headpipe is Titanium, skip it. It will make the titanium too brittle.

I did it on my 525 to keep the heat off the tank, and because I got tired of melting the back of my gloves reaching for the kicker...........

This is after almost 3 years of use:

2YrWrappedPipe003.jpg

I did it on my 525 to keep the heat off the tank, and because I got tired of melting the back of my gloves reaching for the kicker...........

This is after almost 3 years of use:

2YrWrappedPipe003.jpg

yours last three years!!!! i had to replace mine after like every three rides my boots would just tear it up

This is a good idea, every dragger does it for the "added" performance. I think I am going to do this. I guess you do it like the street bikes, from the header to the exhaust tip??????????? Do you guys agree?

yours last three years!!!! i had to replace mine after like every three rides my boots would just tear it up

How do your boots even hit your header? :thumbsup:

A guy I used to race with at the amateur ranks, (he's a pro now) put a header wrap on his YZ450F. He has unlimited access to a dyno, courtesy of his sponsor. So he ran a dyno test before and after the wrap. He claims an improvement with it wrapped. It was less then 1/2 horse power, but an improvement none the less.

I would say that at an beginner to intermediate level rider can never use the full potential of a bike anyhow. But expert / advanced / professional racers, every tenth of a horse power you can squeeze out, do it.